TI introduces RS-485 transceiver with fastest automatic polarity correction Low-power transceiver increases reliability in e-metering and industrial applications
DALLAS, Sept. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a low-power, half-duplex RS-485 transceiver with the fastest automatic bus-polarity correction time. In many industrial applications, such as e-metering networks, DMX512 networks, industrial automation, HVAC systems and process control, it is easy to connect wires incorrectly, which can cause system failure. For large networks, miswiring without quick correction can cause production delays, resulting in significant revenue loss. When hot-plugged, the SN65HVD888 provides cross-wire immunity 80 percent faster than the competition, detecting and correcting the bus polarity within 76 milliseconds of bus idling. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/sn65hvd888-pr.
The SN65HVD888 is available in a standard 8-pin SOIC package, which eliminates the need for board redesign while providing a robust, reliable upgrade to a standard RS-485 device. In addition, the SN65HVD888 supports up to 256 nodes on the bus, eliminating the need for repeaters.
Key features and benefits of the SN65HVD888
- Better electrostatic discharge (ESD)/electrical fast transients (EFT) performance: At +/-12 kV IEC61000-4-2 contact discharge and +4 kV IEC61000-4-4 fast transient burst, it is more reliable than competing devices in noisy environments.
- Highest transient immunity: Large receiver hysteresis at 60 mV is 15-percent higher than the nearest competitor, providing better immunity to noise on the bus lines.
- Fastest correction time: Correcting polarity 80 percent faster than the closest competing device ensures the system is functioning properly in the shortest possible time.
- Lowest power consumption: An optimized combination of low quiescent and standby supply currents makes the device suitable for battery-powered applications.
Tools and support
The RS-485 half-duplex evaluation module is available to evaluate device performance, to support fast development and analysis of data transmission systems using the SN65HVD888. It can be ordered today for US$49.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The SN65HVD888 is available in a standard 8-pin SOIC package. Suggested retail pricing in 1,000-unit quantities starts at US$1.10.
Learn more about TI's RS-485 portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order SN65HVD888 samples
- Order SN65HVD888 evaluation modules
- RS-485 – Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
- Top 10 commandments of RS-485
- Follow what TI signal chain experts have to say on our blog: www.ti.com/analogwire-pr.
- Download a news release graphic at: www.ti.com/newscenterphotos-pr.
TI analog for industrial
TI is the industrial semiconductor leader, providing a diverse and readily available portfolio of analog integrated circuits (ICs) for a broad range of applications, including smart grid, factory automation, high-voltage power, LED lighting and control. TI data converters, ampliﬁers, interface, isolation, clocking, and power management devices enable customers to differentiate their products, while TI software, design tools and reference designs simplify and accelerate design cycles. Learn how TI analog innovations are improving industrial safety, efficiency and reliability at www.ti.com/analogindustrial-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated