TI redefines MCU performance in high-end industrial applications with C2000™ Delfino™ F2837xD series, industry's highest performing dual-core MCUs
Enabling high-end servo drives, solar central inverters and industrial UPS, new 32-bit MCU significantly boosts system execution and integrates differentiated analog in one chip
HOUSTON, Dec. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Announcing the latest innovation in industrial real-time control, Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today set the new performance standard with the new C2000™ Delfino™ 32-bit F2837xD microcontroller (MCU) in the F2837x series. With dual-core C28x processing capabilities and dual real-time control accelerators, also known as control law accelerators (CLAs), these new MCUs provide 800 MIPS of floating-point performance, enabling designers to develop low-latency systems in computationally demanding control applications. Designers can also reduce complexity by consolidating multiple embedded processors into a single MCU for applications requiring real-time signal analysis, such as high-end servo drives, solar central inverters, industrial uninterruptable power supplies (UPS) and more.
Customers can precisely control and monitor multiple feedback inputs simultaneously with the Delfino F2837xD MCU using powerful analog peripherals integrated on-chip. By providing four independent 16-bit analog-to digital converters (ADCs), the F2837xD MCU is able to precisely and efficiently manage multiple analog signals, which enables overall system throughput for solutions such as the monitoring of three-phase motors. Designers can also safely shut down their motors with the integrated windowed comparators, which provide critical power stage protection, while the sigma delta demodulators allow direct interface to isolated converters providing noise immunity for the MCU.
The first in a series of scalable, industrial-focused MCUs
Delfino F2837xD MCUs are the first devices in a series of innovative C2000 MCUs. All MCUs in these series are pin- and software-compatible and provide varying performance ranges capable of addressing different performance requirements in a product line - from a servo drive for factory automation to an elevator drive. Changing the way product platform decisions are made, the Delfino F2837xD MCUs and future single-core derivatives allow customers to decrease hardware and software development time and cost.
Features and benefits of Delfino F2837xD MCUs:
- Eliminate the need for multiple embedded processors with 800 MIPS combined performance from dual C28x cores and dual CLAs.
- Offload main CPUs (C28x cores) from demanding control loop analysis with two real-time control accelerators, or control law accelerators (CLAs), creating additional bandwidth, allowing the main processor to focus on system diagnostics or applications management.
- Swiftly execute trigonometric-based algorithms used in control functions, such as torque loops traditionally done in FPGAs with the new trigonometric math unit (TMU) accelerator included on the C28x cores.
- Better predict motor failures by performing vibrational analysis with the viterbi complex unit (VCU II) accelerators, which boost processing capabilities in the C28x cores.
- Fine-tune control and monitor multiple feedbacks using four 16-bit ADCs to improve system accuracy in industrial applications such as solar central inverters and high-end industrial UPS systems.
- Reduce MCU input noise and enable isolated current shunt measurements with a seamless interface to the TI AMC1204 isolated delta sigma modulator.
- Protect power stage from current faults by using windowed comparators.
- Speed time to market and reduce development costs by creating products of varying performance levels within this new C2000 MCU series, which provides a pin- and software-compatible architecture to future devices.
- Compatible with existing kits the F2837xD controlCARD uses the established C2000 controlCARD format making this hardware functional with existing application kits.
- Centralized software development with examples, header files, application libraries and much more can be found in controlSUITE which is a free download on ti.com.
Pricing and availability
Fully featured Delfino F2837xD 32-bit microcontrollers are now sampling and start at approximately $18 USD in 1K unit orders. Developers can evaluate their new Delfino MCUs using the F2837xD docking station (TMDXDOCK28377D) for $219 USD and the modular controlCARD (TMDXCNCD28377D) for $159 USD.
Find out more about C2000 Delfino F2837xD MCUs:
- C2000 microcontrollers: www.ti.com/c2x-f2837xd-lp1
- F2837xD one pager: www.ti.com/c2x-f2837xd-mc
- F2837xD training: www.ti.com/c2x-f2837xd-c2xtr
- F2837xD video: www.ti.com/c2x-f2837xd-vd
TI's broad portfolio of microcontrollers (MCUs) and software
Leading the industry in MCUs for low-power, real-time control, safety and connectivity, TI continues its 20+ years of microcontroller innovation to offer the broadest microcontroller portfolio in the industry: Ultra-low-power MSP MCUs, real-time control C2000™ MCUs, Tiva™ ARM® MCUs and Hercules™ ARM MCUs. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI's tools, software, wireless connectivity solutions, extensive Design Network offerings and technical support.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
C2000, Delfino, Piccolo, Tiva and Hercules are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
More by this Source
Texas Instruments to webcast review and update of Capital Management Strategy
Mar 06, 2014, 14:30 ET
Texas Instruments prices $500 million of investment grade notes
Mar 05, 2014, 18:11 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.