TI unveils first current-sharing LDOs for harsh environments Wide-input, 0.5-A linear regulator withstands extreme temperatures up to 210 degrees C
DALLAS, Sept. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the first current-sharing low-dropout (LDO) linear voltage regulators for harsh environments. The current-sharing feature of the 3-A TPS7H1101-SP and the 0.5-A TPS7H1201-HT allows designers to use two devices in parallel for twice the output current. The devices also offer excellent noise performance, as well as minimize thermal dissipation and increase power efficiency for optimal system reliability. For more information, see www.ti.com/tps7h1101-sp-pr.
The TPS7H1101-SP LDO is QML Class V-qualified up to 125 degrees C for harsh environments, such as high-reliability medical equipment, satellites and undersea cabling. The TPS7H1201-HT LDO is qualified up to 210 degrees C for high-temperature applications, such as downhole drilling.
- Double the current capability: Two TPS7H1101-SP LDOs used in parallel can output up to 6 A, while two TPS7H1201-HT LDOs can output up to 1 A. Sharing the current equally between the matching LDOs reduces stress on the components to meet higher current demands, and time between failures is reduced by half.
- Best-in-class thermal performance: Offers more than 80 percent better thermal performance than similar solutions offered today. The enhanced thermal packaging minimizes thermal temperature for higher reliability.
- Wide input voltage support: The 1.5-V to 7-V input allows voltage support for power rails below 3.3 V.
- Extremely low dropout: Low dropout of 75 mV at 1 A allows for minimal input-to output-voltage conversion for reduced power dissipation.
- Enhanced power supply and noise suppression: Very low output noise of 17 uVrms, coupled with a high power supply rejection ratio of 45 dB at 1 kHz, supports noise-sensitive applications, such as medical equipment and oil and gas exploration equipment.
Packaging and availability
The TPS7H1101-SP and the TPS7H1201-HT are available now in a 16-pin thermally enhanced ceramic flat pack (CFP). Please contact email@example.com for suggested retail price of the TPS7H1101-SP, and firstname.lastname@example.org for suggested retail price of the TPS7H1201-HT.
The TPS7H1101-SP and the TPS7H1201-HT join TI's portfolio of products for harsh environments. To supply power to the LDOs, TI offers the 6-A TPS50601-SP and the 3-A TPS50301-HT monolithic point of load converters, both supporting input voltages from 1.6 V to 6.3 V.
A SPICE model is also available for designing, testing and troubleshooting a broad variety of basic and advanced circuits, including complex architectures, without any node or number of device limitations.
Engineers can ask questions and get answers from TI experts on the High Reliability Forum in the TI E2E™ Community.
Find out more about the TPS7H1201-HT and the TPS7H1101-SP, as well as other high-reliability products from TI:
- Download the TPS7H1101-SP or the TPS7H1201-HT datasheet.
- Explore TI's full portfolio of space applications and high-temperature integrated circuits (ICs) and related system block diagrams.
- Watch an Engineer It video for more information on how to design a high current low noise power supply for harsh environments.
- Watch a video to learn how to select an LDO for low-noise applications.
About high-reliability and high-temperature components from TI
Customers count on TI's high-reliability expertise and the industry's broadest portfolio of analog and embedded processing products to provide complete semiconductor solutions and value-added services for challenging or extreme environments in industrial, space, aerospace, defense, medical and consumer markets. TI offers solutions and services for extended temperature ranges of -55 degrees C up to 220 degrees C, radiation hardened designs, baseline control, extended product life cycles, obsolescence mitigation, quality conformance to military standards, ITAR flow support and in-house process technology. TI's high-reliability packaging capabilities include ceramic, plastic and Known Good Die (KGD) wafer solutions. See more at www.ti.com/hirel.
TI analog for industrial
TI is the industrial semiconductor market share leader, providing a diverse portfolio of analog integrated circuits (ICs) for a broad range of applications, including Smart Grid, factory automation, high-voltage power, LED lighting and control. TI data converters, amplifiers, interface, isolation, clocking, and power management devices enable customers to differentiate their products, while TI software, design tools and reference designs simplify and accelerate design cycles. Learn how TI analog products improve industrial safety, efficiency and reliability at www.ti.com/analogindustrial-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
SOURCE Texas Instruments