NEW YORK, April 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- General contractor Mike Holmes, star of the popular television programs Holmes on Homes and Holmes Inspection (ranked as the #1 and #2 shows on HGTV), announces his newest book, Mike Holmes: Kitchens and Bathrooms (Time Home Entertainment Inc.; April 2, 2013; $21.95), available at retailers nationwide.
Anyone who has planned a renovation project knows that there are many, often difficult, decisions to make along the way. Considered America's most trusted contractor, Holmes has seen the good, the bad and the ugly.
"Everybody wants a new kitchen or bathroom—they are the most popular home renovation projects. They're also the most expensive," stated Mike Holmes. "The average kitchen reno costs $30,000. A new bathroom costs around $10,000. At that kind of money, wouldn't you want to make sure it's done right the first time? I know I would," added Holmes.
In his new 256-page book, he provides expert advice on all aspects of planning and completing the most common kitchen and bathroom renovation projects to help homeowners:
- Know what's possible: design and planning considerations, including advice on building green;
- Learn the basics: structural considerations, permits and potential challenges;
- Hire right: finding the right people for the job;
- Choose the right materials: comprehensive guide to flooring, cabinets, etc., to help make the best choices (which aren't necessarily the most expensive ones);
- Understand cost and timelines: getting and understanding estimates and how long it's going to take; and
- Oversee the job properly: how to ensure the renovation is done right, including step-by-step photographs of correct installation.
Topics covered in Mike Holmes: Kitchens and Bathrooms include The World Behind the Walls (making sure the home's structure can support the renovation), Hiring Right and Working with Your Contractor, Greening Your Renovation, Cooking Up a Kitchen That Works, Creating the Just-Right Bathroom and Built to Last (building for longevity). Packed with color photographs (such as before and after photos), illustrations, Mike's tips and sidebars, this new book will help ensure homeowners avoid costly mistakes and get their kitchen and bath renovation right the first time.
SOURCE Time Home Entertainment Inc.