NEW YORK, Dec. 2, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Women in the World is coming back to San Antonio with the second annual Women in the World Texas. Tina Brown will co-host the December 8 event with President of 3N Group Guillermo Nicolas, San Antonio Mayor Ivy R. Taylor and San Antonio City Manager Sheryl Sculley.
Tickets for Women in the World Texas are on sale now. https://www.hostcommittee.com/edp/women-in-the-world-texas-12034863
The program will feature:
- America Ferrera, is an award-winning actress and producer. In addition to her acting, Ferrera serves as ambassador for Voto Latino, the leading non-partisan national youth empowerment organization to engage people across the country in online conversations, discussing issues related to voter ID laws, education, and immigration.
- Juliette Kayyem, one of the leading voices in national security will join us to talk about what the West must do to prevent another major terror attack and to counter violent extremism around the world. Now with Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government, Kayyem is the former Assistant Secretary for Intergovernmental Affairs at the Department of Homeland Security.
- Lara Logan, award winning journalist and 60 Minutes Correspondent will moderate a panel entitled, "Women Fighting the Terror Crisis."
- Lavinia Limon, CEO of the US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants, and a powerful voice for the tens of thousands of immigrants fleeing the epidemic of violence in Central America
- William H. McRaven, Adm. (Ret.), Chancellor of The University of Texas System and former commander of the US Special Operations Command. He'll join for a program entitled, "Things My Mother Taught Me."
- Yeonmi Park, the remarkably brave 22-year-old North Korean defector who defied one of the most repressive governments in the world, first by escaping and now by speaking out about human rights abuses in her homeland.
Women in the World Founder and CEO Tina Brown says, "We are thrilled to be bringing Women in the World Texas back to San Antonio once again. San Antonio is a city on the rise. Its diversity and commitment to education makes it the perfect partner city for collaboration."
"San Antonio exemplifies the Women in the World Texas summit as we have many passionate and powerful women leading our city, businesses, communities and households," says Mayor Ivy R. Taylor. "This year's Women in the World Texas program is sure to once again elevate and inspire all our female leaders."
The morning summit will be held at the historic and recently restored St. Anthony Hotel.
City Manager Sheryl Sculley adds, "We are proud to welcome Women in the World Texas back to our city for the second year. Last year's event was the talk of the town and the quality of the presenters was outstanding. That, with San Antonio's cultural diversity and history of strong female leaders, makes it the ideal location for this event."
Since 2012, presenting sponsor, Toyota, has partnered with Women in the World to honor Toyota Mothers of Invention. The Toyota Mothers of Invention program identifies and recognizes women who actively contribute to their local communities and the world through innovation, entrepreneurship and invention.
Maria Dellapina, creator and founder of Specs4Us will be recognized by Toyota as the next and final 2015 Toyota Mother of Invention at Women in the World San Antonio. Through her work to improve the quality of life for children and adults with Down Syndrome, she has touched hundreds of families by providing custom frames that fit their loved ones' needs. Maria, who is a single mother of four children, founded Specs4Us after struggling to find eyewear for her daughter who has Down Syndrome. With over 25 years of experience in the optical field, Maria decided to utilize her knowledge and passion as an optician to help her daughter and others with specific needs gain access to appropriately fitting frames. Maria will take center stage to share her story during an inspirational segment in San Antonio.
Women in the World Texas is generously supported by presenting sponsor Toyota; leadership sponsor the City of San Antonio; and supporting sponsors HEB, AT&T and NuStar.
For more information about visiting San Antonio, please visit: www.VisitSanAntonio.com
To learn more about Women in the World please visit: www.nytimes.com/womenintheworld
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Dawn Robinette, APR | Associate
The CE Group, Inc
SOURCE San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau