DALLAS, Dec. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced two analog front ends (AFEs) that provide low power, high performance and space savings for test and measurement, wireless communications and optical networking equipment. The AFE7071 is a complete radio transmitter that reduces board space by up to 80 percent compared to discrete implementations. It integrates a dual digital-to-analog converter (DAC), tunable baseband filters, IQ modulator and digital quadrature modulation correction circuit. The AFE7070 adds a direct digital synthesizer (DDS) with 32-bit numerically controlled oscillator (NCO) and LVDS output buffer. For more information and to order samples of these new AFEs, visit www.ti.com/afe7070-pr.
- Highly integrated: Providing a dual 14-bit, 65-MSPS DAC, programmable low-pass filter and RF IQ modulator with an RF output range of 100 MHz to 2700 MHz in a single device simplifies design and reduces board space.
- Small size: 7-mm x 7-mm package with multiplexed CMOS input is 80-perent smaller than typical discrete solutions to enable compact or mobile designs, such as small-cell base stations and portable test and measurement equipment.
- Flexible RF output: The devices are tunable from 100 MHz to 2700 MHz with output power up to 0.3 dBm to accommodate a wide range of frequencies and maximize system flexibility.
- High performance, low power: Adjacent channel power ratio is 66 dB with 5-MHz WCDMA and 61 dB with 20-MHz LTE at 2.1 GHz while using only 325 mW, more than 50 percent lower than discrete designs.
- Low output noise floor: 156 dBm/Hz enables high signal quality.
Additional features and benefits of the AFE7070
- Space-efficient, cost-effective: Direct digital synthesis with 32-bit NCO and LVDS output buffer for frequency translation. This enables space-efficient designs by reducing interface lines and components while providing a cost-effective method for optical time alignment and arbitrary waveform generation.
- Simplifies design: Integrated 800-MHz LVDS output can be used in a clock phase-locked loop (PLL) to drive the pre-scaler, eliminating the need for a separate analog-to-LVDS converter.
- Configurable digital input: Can accept input data as a 14-bit complex value or 16-bit NCO phase value for constant amplitude modulation.
Tools and support An evaluation module is available for both devices. The AFE7070EVM and AFE7071EVM include the CDCM7005 clock jitter cleaner, as well as TI power management devices, such as DC/DC converters and low-noise LDOs, to provide a complete bits-to-RF prototyping and reference design. They can be purchased for US$499.
Additionally, designers can use the TSW3065EVM as a flexible local oscillator to drive the AFE7070 and AFE7071. It includes the TRF3765, a PLL/VCO with a tunable range of 300 MHz to 4800 MHz, and can be purchased for US$699.
Support is available on the High Speed Data Converters Forum in the TI E2ETM Community, where engineers can ask questions and get answers from TI experts.
Availability and pricing The AFE7070 and AFE7071 are both available today in a 7-mm by 7-mm QFN package. Suggested retail pricing in 1,000-unit quantities is US$11.90 for the AFE7071 and US$23.75 for the AFE7070.
- Buy the AFE7070EVM from the TI eStore: www.ti.com/afe7070evmbuy-pr.
- Order AFE7070 samples: www.ti.com/afe7070s-pr.
- Check out the AFE7070 data sheet: www.ti.com/afe7070ds-pr.
- Buy the AFE7071EVM from the TI eStore: www.ti.com/afe7071evmbuy-pr.
- Order AFE7071 samples: www.ti.com/afe7071s-pr.
- Read the AFE7071 data sheet: www.ti.com/afe7070ds-pr.
About Texas Instruments Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
Trademarks TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated