Tips for a Festive 'After Fifty' Holiday
AfterFiftyLiving.com Helps Us Enjoy the Yuletide
BOSTON, Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- An "After Fifty" holiday can be festive and fabulous, if people follow the advice of AfterFiftyLiving.com, a rapidly emerging online social network which provides resources exclusively for Baby Boomers and folks over 50.
"While these can be our best years ever, the holiday season can stress even the most laid-back of Baby Boomers," said Jo-Anne Lema , Founder of AfterFiftyLiving.com. Embrace these tips and turn that stress into celebration!
- "Spruce" Applies to More than the Tree. "Feel tired, worn-out - maybe even 'old?' 'Tis the season to do more than decorate that spruce tree sitting in the center of the room. You're the center of your LIFE!! So spruce up! Guy or gal, go out and get a great cut, maybe even a color. Speaking of hair, make sure it's all under control. Nothing like nose and ear hair gone wild to spoil the image! Visit a department store's cosmetics section and get a make-over (and some lessons) and splurge on a couple of cosmetics that may brighten your appearance. Treat yourself to a new outfit – one you're comfortable wearing and makes you feel like a million! Then, when you get home, go take a brisk walk for a half hour. This'll get your blood flowing adding natural color to those cheeks. Smile – you and your tree are both sparkling," she said.
- Moderation – Your New "Best Friend." Baby Boomers want to do more than just survive the holidays – they want to thrive and relish the memories! Yet, according to a 2004 study published in Circulation, there are more heart attack deaths on Dec. 25th than any other day; the second highest day is Dec. 26th; and the third highest is Jan 1st. So all that "thriving and relishing" isn't going to happen if you're hospital bound with a heart attack or are spending your hours sleeping off a hangover. "That canape and spiked eggnog may be calling to you, but YOU are the master. Sure, have a bit – a little bit – then move on and satisfy your appetite with good conversation," she said.
- Don't Blow a Bundle. Boomers may be tempted to spoil friends and family members - like those adorable grandkids. So establish a holiday spending budget. Estimate what you might spend on all gifts, travel, entertainment, and personal items. Then do a reality-check. Can you really afford spending all that money? No? Then ruthlessly cross off items that aren't absolute "must do's" and stick to the list that remains. "Remember, your presence is the best present of all. Bankruptcy court is no place to spend your New Year," she said.
- Censor Your Tongue. "Look, there's a lot of stress over the holidays. Boomers can be thrown into situations with relatives we can barely tolerate, a boss who's a belligerent bully, and friends of friends who may be anything but. So, if you don't want to start (or encourage) World War III in the midst of the mistletoe, avoid talking about politics, religion, money, and your personal problems. If someone starts down that path, bite your tongue, excuse yourself and walk away. Yup, you can do that. It's okay, really!" she said.
- The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you. "If Baby Boomers really want to have a festive, merry, After Fifty holiday, then start by burying the hatchets in your relationships. If ever there were a season to practice tolerance and forgiveness, this is it. This is the big chance to make amends. Do it! And if you're one of the fortunate few with no hatchets in your life, the Golden Rule still applies. Mind your manners. Engage people in conversations about their lives, their success, and their joys! Hug a kid. Pet a dog. Donate to a favorite charity. Volunteer in some way to help those less fortunate than you," she said.
And – have a very, merry holiday season, filled with good health, friendships, and love!
A rapidly emerging online social network, www.AfterFiftyLiving.com also provides resources exclusively for Baby Boomers and folks over 50. The signature challenge of our After Fifty years is maintaining our social connections while, at the same time, life forces weaken those connections. AfterFiftyLiving.com not only offers social opportunities, but does so by supporting meaningful and respected living. We value each member, celebrating successes and supporting through times of challenge.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.