Tips to Create a Safe Environment in the Classroom
NEW YORK, Sept. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- As summer comes to a close, early childhood education professionals are busy gearing up for the little ones. In addition to developing new reading lists and homework assignments, many teachers are also investing their time in classroom safety. According to Safe Kids USA, an estimated 14 million children are unintentionally injured each year – with as many as 25 percent of those incidents occurring in and around schools. Educational leaders can prevent some of these incidents by childproofing all classrooms to help eliminate potential hazards.
Here are a few tips to help create a safer classroom environment:
- Check furniture for structural stability and loose or protruding screws, nails, hinges, latches or other hardware. Sharp edges and corners should be sanded down.
- Check windows for secure locks and broken glass and make sure all furniture, desks and toys are moved away from the window area. Because of potential cord dangers, the Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) is urging teachers and child care professionals to use only cordless window products in the classroom. Replace window blinds, corded shades and draperies manufactured before 2001 with today's cordless products.
- Bookshelves and chests should be securely bolted to walls so they will not topple over if a child tries to climb them.
- Radios, televisions and electrical or audiovisual appliances should be anchored on a shelf or table with the cord out of children's reach.
- Toys and blocks should be regularly washed and disinfected, as well as inspected for broken or loose pieces.
- Keep the floor clear of debris and check carpets for push pins, staples or other sharp items which can cause injury.
- Make sure all electrical outlets are securely covered.
Parents or teachers wishing to obtain additional information can visit www.windowcoverings.org or call the WCSC toll-free phone line at 1-800-506-4636.
SOURCE Window Covering Safety Council
More by this Source
Keep Moving Day Safe
Apr 16, 2013, 10:28 ET
La limpieza de primavera: es hora de deshacerse de los posibles peligros en el hogar
Mar 01, 2013, 10:00 ET
Spring Cleaning: Time to Rid your Home of Potential Dangers
Mar 01, 2013, 10:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.