TI's fully integrated super capacitor manager optimizes battery performance, lifetime and safety
IC enables users to make battery pack lifecycle decisions based on accurate state-of-health information
DALLAS, June 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced the industry's first fully integrated Li-Ion battery management integrated circuit (IC) for super capacitor charge control. This single device provides comprehensive features for managing charge control; measuring capacitance and effective series resistance (ESR); and protecting either 2-, 3-, 4- or 5-series super capacitors with individual capacitor control, or up to 9-series capacitors with stack control. For more information or to place an order, visit www.ti.com/bq33100-pr.
The bq33100 maximizes functionality and safety, while dramatically increasing ease of use and cutting the solution cost and size for super capacitor applications. Battery-backed write cache applications, system bridge power and non-volatile dual in-line memory RAID controller cards need reliable super capacitor pack managers to ensure availability when the primary power fails.
Key features and benefits
- Prevents surprise battery pack failures by measuring pack health conditions.
- Communicates dynamic charge voltage with the charger to extend battery pack life.
- Prevents damage to capacitors caused by over voltage or over temperature stress during charging.
- Measures and maintains accurate record of available capacitance.
- Single device manages multiple capacitor configurations: 2-, 3-, 4-, and 5-series super capacitor packs.
- Integrated and programmable protection configures safety parameters to battery pack and system needs.
- I2C and SMBus communications are widely used communication protocols that match many host processor capabilities.
Tools and support
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed the implementation of super capacitor managers:
- Order samples of the bq33100 super capacitor manager: www.ti.com/bq33100-pr.
- Order bq33100 evaluation system with populated circuit module, PC software and interface board: www.ti.com/bq33100evm-pr.
- Download bq33100 data sheet or order samples: www.ti.com/bq33100-pr.
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the Battery Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/batteryforum-pr
Availability and pricing
The bq33103 super capacitor manager is available now in a 7.8-mm x 6.4-mm TSSOP package, priced at $4.65 in quantities of 1,000.
Find out more about TI's power management portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Visit TI's power management solutions web page: www.ti.com/power-pr.
- Download the new Power Management Guide: www.ti.com/2011powerguide-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
More by this Source
Texas Instruments publishes 2012 Corporate Citizenship Report
May 23, 2013, 09:00 ET
TI introduces new sensorless, brushless DC motor driver to spin motors instantly
May 22, 2013, 11:33 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.