TI's highly integrated 64-kB digital power controller reduces server downtime
Fully programmable digital controller for isolated power allows "on-the-fly" firmware updates to power supplies
DALLAS, March 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Expanding its broad portfolio of analog and digital power management products, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a highly integrated and configurable digital power management controller with 64 kB of program Flash memory for AC/DC and isolated DC/DC power supplies. The UCD3138064 allows designers to implement firmware upgrades "on-the-fly" without shutting off the power supply, reducing server downtime compared to existing solutions. For more information, visit: www.ti.com/ucd3138064-pr.
TI is demonstrating this new digital power management controller in its booth #109 at Applied Power Electronics Conference and Expo (APEC) in Long Beach, Calif.
The UCD3138064 employs a unique memory partitioning architecture that gives users the ability to simultaneously write to and execute from different portions of the on-chip memory and dynamically switch execution between the various firmware images using appropriate algorithms. This capability reduces downtime in servers and telecom infrastructure equipment.
Key features and benefits of the UCD3138064:
- 64-kB program Flash memory can support digital controller sockets in AC/DC power supplies that require greater than 32 kB of memory.
- Multiple system communication options, such as UART, PMBus™, I2C and serial peripheral interface (SPI), easily interface with multiple devices on the system, including peer controllers, power metering ASICs and external EEPROM memory.
- Supports all isolated power supply topologies, including single-phase, two-phase interleaved or bridgeless power factor correction; phase-shifted full-bridge; resonant LLC; and hard-switching full-bridge. This gives customers the flexibility to use the UCD3138064 in a variety of power designs, regardless of topology.
Award-winning digital power solutions
The UCD3138064 is a 64-kB addition to TI's award-winning UCD3138 digital power controller family. In addition to analog and digital power management solutions, TI offers MCU-optimized TMS320F28x microcontrollers that enable digital control in power supplies. For more information, visit: www.ti.com/digitalpower.
Making digital power design easier
In addition to the UCD3138064 control card evaluation module, designers have easy access to several UCD3138-based development tools. This includes full-function, feature-rich evaluation modules such as UCD3138 digital power factor correction pre-regulator, UCD3138 digital resonant LLC converter and UCD3138 hard switching bridge converter evaluation modules, along with associated application firmware source code; development, such as UCD3138OL64EVM-031; programmer's manuals; hardware interface; and software GUI tools, such as USB Interface Adapter EVM, Digital Power Software and the Code Composer Studio™ development environment. TI also launched its C2000™ microcontroller Interleaved Power Factor Correction (PFC) Kit with industry-leading power efficiency, power factor (PF) and total harmonic distortion (THD) performance, supporting advanced power metering functions and alternating current (AC) lines. TI provides a complete suite of documentation and training materials, including its new Digital Power Workshop Kit.
Availability and pricing
Samples and production quantities of the UCD3138064 are expected to be available in April. The UCD3138064 is offered in a 64-pin, 9-mm by 9-mm QFN package priced at US$ 4.90 in 1,000-unit quantities. The UCD3138064EVM-166 evaluation module is priced at US$49, and is expected to be available through TI's eStore in April.
Find out more about TI's power management portfolio, including analog and digital power products and solutions:
- Check out TI's extensive line of digital power solutions.
- Check out "Jeff does APEC" live on the Power House blog to keep up with trends and topics from the showroom floor.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the Power Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/powerforum-pr.
- Find hundreds of reference designs for any application in the PowerLab™ Reference Design Library
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E, PowerLab and C2000 are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
More by this Source
Texas Instruments to webcast its 4Q13 mid-quarter financial update
Dec 02, 2013, 11:30 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.