TI's new UL-certified SafeTI™ software packages for TI C2000™ MCUs streamline development for consumer functional safety applications
Software libraries are UL-certified, as recognized components, to the UL 1998:2008 Class 1 standard and are compliant with IEC 60730-1:2010 Class B
HOUSTON, May 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- New UL-certified SafeTI™ software packages from Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) help make designing functional safety consumer applications using TI C2000™ real-time control microcontrollers (MCUs) easier and faster. The software in these SafeTI software packages is UL-certified, as recognized components, to the UL 1998:2008 Class 1 standard, and is compliant with IEC 60730-1:2010 Class B, both of which include home appliances, arc detectors, power converters, power tools, e-bikes, and many others. SafeTI software packages are available for select TI C2000 MCUs and can be embedded in applications using these MCUs to help customers simplify certification for functional safety-compliant consumer devices. Because of the similarity of the two standards, the IEC 60730 software libraries can also help assist customers developing consumer applications compliant with the IEC 60335-1:2010 standard.
The software packages include ready-to-run, simple application examples with software libraries UL-certified, as recognized components, for select TI C2000 MCUs, and can be downloaded from the SafeTI software folder, along with supporting safety manuals and user guides. The software library allows for embedding a variety of system tests required by IEC 60730 and UL 1998, which are described in the supporting safety manual. Projects built with the software library demonstrate how to create power-on self-test (POST) and periodic self-test (PST) with reporting conducted through a UART peripheral connection. The user's guide demonstrates how to integrate the testing into functional safety consumer application designs. The C2000 MCUs include a special hardware element – parallel signature analysis (PSA) – that allows for a 40-bit cyclic redundancy check (CRC) of the data bus on a cycle-by-cycle basis for additional safety without affecting the main CPU or software application.
Features and benefits of SafeTI software packages for select TI C2000 MCUs:
- Easy-to-use software library for TI MCUs with an accompanying user guide and safety manual.
- UL-Certified software, as recognized components, helps make development easier and faster on TI MCUs for consumer applications that require functional safety certification.
- Robust software package includes UL-certified software libraries and example projects ready to run on controlCARD-based hardware, a user manual and a safety manual to help speed development for many consumer products requiring IEC 60730 and UL 1998 standard compliance or certification.
- Compatible with real-time performance features of the select C2000 MCUs:
- Delfino F2833x and F2832x MCUs provide up to 150 MHz of leading floating-point performance and integration to real-time control applications. The DSP-based C28x core simplifies development and delivers high performance for demanding real-time applications.
- Piccolo F2806x, F2805x, F2803x and F2802x MCUs provide up to 256 KB of low-cost, high integration, 32-bit performance, featuring architectural advancements and enhanced peripherals. There is additional flash memory and control law accelerator (CLA) for high-efficiency control loops on the Piccolo F2803x series, increased analog integration on the Piccolo F2805x series and floating-point unit plus Viterbi complex math unit (VCU) of the Piccolo F2806x series.
Tools, pricing and availability
SafeTI software packages for use in consumer products needing functional safety certification to UL 1998 and IEC 60730 standards using TI C2000 MCU designs are available today without charge, fee or use royalties. C2000 MCUs supported start at $1.91 in 10 ku orders. Designers can begin evaluating their designs immediately with any of the available controlCARD based experimenter's or application-specific development kits, starting at $99.
Find out more about SafeTI design packages and TI MCUs:
- SafeTI design packages: http://www.ti.com/c2x-cert-pr-lp1
- C2000 MCUs: http://www.ti.com/c2x-cert-pr-lp
- TI MCUs: www.ti.com/c2x-cert-pr-lp4
- Support: www.ti.com/c2x-cert-pr-ee
- Training: www.ti.com/c2x-cert-pr-tr
TI's broad portfolio of microcontrollers (MCUs) and software
Leading the industry in MCUs for low-power, real-time control, safety and connectivity, TI continues its 20+ years of microcontroller innovation to offer the broadest microcontroller portfolio in the industry: Ultra-low-power MSP MCUs, real-time control C2000™ MCUs, Tiva™ ARM® MCUs and Hercules™ Safety ARM MCUs. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI's tools, software, wireless connectivity solutions, extensive Design Network offerings and technical support.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
C2000, Piccolo, Delfino, Tiva, SafeTI and Hercules are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments
More by this Source
Next-generation power factor correction controller improves energy efficiency
Dec 03, 2013, 12:00 ET
Ultra-low power circuits to enable next wave of energy harvesting design
Nov 19, 2013, 15:12 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.