NEW YORK, Dec. 20, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The 2016 AKC Obedience Classic and the AKC Agility Invitational took place December 17-18, 2016 in conjunction with the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin, demonstrating the highest level of training and teamwork between dog and handler. Obedience and agility competitions for junior handlers were held for the sixth year, and an AKC Rally® Junior competition was held for the third year.
On-demand coverage of agility and obedience is available at www.akc.org.
AKC Obedience Classic
Four obedience dogs and their owners – one dog/handler team in each of the four classes – were crowned at the AKC Obedience Classic, which brought together 248 dogs from across the country and beyond.
Placing first in their class (Novice, Open, Utility and Masters respectively) were:
- Novice: Powderhorn Brodie & Stand Back CD PCD BN JH, a Golden Retriever known as "Brodie," owned by Barb and Bob Mina of Campobello, SC.
- Open: Augustus Treasured Serenity CDX BN RA NA, a Labrador Retriever known as "Grant," owned by Mary Ann Flanagan of Glen Gardner, NJ.
- Utility: Henry Head Over Heels UD PCDX BN GN RE THDA CGC, an All American Dog known as "Henry," owned by Kathryn Harvey of Apple Valley, MN.
- Masters: OTCH Rhumbline's Once In A Blue Moon UDX2 OM3 BN GN RE, a Labrador Retriever known as "Heart," owned by Linda Brennan of Columbia, NJ.
AKC Agility Invitational
Five agility dogs and their owners – one dog/handler team in each of the five height categories – were crowned as the 2016 winners of the AKC Agility Invitational, which brought together 700 dogs from across the country and beyond.
Placing first in their height division (8", 12", 16", 20" and 24" respectively) were:
- 8" – MACH5 Brokenroad Code Name Tank MXB2 MJB2 MXF MFB TQX T2B RN (Tank), a Portuguese Podengo Pequeno owned and handled by Charlene Wiglesworth of Kalamazoo, MI.
- 12" – MACH12 Keebler's Elfin' Magic MXS4 MJS4 (Keebler), a Pembroke Welsh Corgi owned and handled by Roger O'Sullivan of Gahana, OH.
- 16" – Dora Doo Winslow AX AXJ OF (Dora), a Shetland Sheepdog owned and handled by Patricia Toro Sarraga of San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- 20" – MACH5 Marjo's Demon In The Ruff MXS2 MJG2 MXP2 MJP3 MJPB MXF MFS TQX T2B2 (Simi), a Brittany owned and handled by Janice Brunner of Wellsville, PA.
- 24" – MACH7 Gliding High Du Volant MXC2 MJC2 MXF MFB TQX T2B (Glider), a Belgian Sheepdog owned and handled by Nici Parker of Santa Rosa Valley, CA.
The junior results:
AKC Juniors Obedience/Rally Classic
Juniors who participated in the AKC Juniors Classic competed in Obedience and/or AKC Rally®.
In Obedience, Juniors competed in the Beginner Novice, Preferred Novice and Preferred Open classes twice, based on their AKC obedience accomplishments.
Placing first in their class were:
- Beginner Novice: Emily Wagoner, Maximum Force, All American Dog
- Preferred Novice: Brittaney Allen, Allen's Ollie CD BN RN CGC, All American Dog
- Preferred Open: Emily Wagoner, Clarimond's Because I'M the Boss CDX BN RE CGCA, Belgian Tervuren
In AKC Rally®, Juniors competed in Rally Novice, Rally Advanced or Rally Excellent, based on the dog's class eligibility (qualifying scores and/or titles earned).
Placing first in their class were:
- Rally Novice: Breanna Durham, Nike D The Perfect Fit For Me CDX PCD GN RN, Australian Shepherd
- Rally Advanced: Avery Adams, Wyndspell Fireworks CD AX AXJ, Border Collie
- Rally Excellent: Kaitlyn Scripko, Hidden Valley Black Ty Affair UDX OM2 RE HT MX MXB MXJ MJB MXF T2B, Border Collie
AKC Juniors Agility Competition
Juniors who participated in the AKC Juniors Agility Competition competed in either the Junior Excellent or Superior Classes, depending on whether they had achieved an agility title.
Placing first in their height division (8", 12", 16", 20" and 24" respectively) in the Junior Excellent class were:
- 8"- Kayangee Dorothy Parker MX MXJ (Dot), a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel handled by Anthony Rotelle
- 12"- Karmayne Playin With Matches MX MXJ (Fire), a Shetland Sheepdog handled by Natalie Spinsby
- 16"- Julian's Razor Lazzer MX MXB MXJ OF (Lazer), a Border Collie handled by Destiny Julian
- 20"- MACH Rival's Stitch In Time HIBS, HIAS, CD (Stitch), a Border Collie handled by Kai Macauley
- 24"- MACH Smokingold Vibrant Spark MX MXJ UD RE (Vibrant), a Golden Retriever handled by Avery Adams
Placing first in their height division (12", 16" and 24" respectively) in the Junior Superior class were:
- 12"- Rhapsody Enchanting Dart To The Finish Line (Dart), a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel handled by Aaliyah Watkins
- 16"- Martin's Lola II (Lola), an All American Dog handled by Tasha Martin
- 24"- Hunter Of The Meadow BN RN CGC (Hunter), a Labrador Retriever handled by Hayley Milliron
[MEDIA NOTE: For photos, please contact email@example.com]
About the American Kennel Club
Founded in 1884, the American Kennel Club is a not-for-profit organization which maintains the largest registry of purebred dogs in the world and oversees the sport of purebred dogs in the United States. The AKC is dedicated to upholding the integrity of its registry, promoting the sport of purebred dogs and breeding for type and function. Along with its more than 5,000 licensed and member clubs and its affiliated organizations, the AKC advocates for the purebred dog as a family companion, advances canine health and well-being, works to protect the rights of all dog owners and promotes responsible dog ownership. More than 22,000 competitions for AKC-registered purebred dogs are held under AKC rules and regulations each year including conformation, agility, obedience, rally, tracking, herding, lure coursing, coonhound events, hunt tests, field and earthdog tests. Affiliate AKC organizations include the AKC Humane Fund, AKC Canine Health Foundation, AKC Reunite and the AKC Museum of the Dog. For more information, visit www.akc.org.
AKC, American Kennel Club, the American Kennel Club seal and design, and all associated marks and logos are trademarks, registered trademarks and service marks of The American Kennel Club, Inc.
Become a fan of the American Kennel Club on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter @AKCDogLovers
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/top-dogs-crowned-at-akc-obedience-classic-and-akc-agility-invitational-300381955.html
SOURCE American Kennel Club