Top Five Holiday Gifts to Keep Older Vehicles on the Road Longer and Looking Good!
AutoMD.com lists gift ideas for growing population of car owners driving cars 150,000+ miles
CARSON, Calif., Nov. 17, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- With the Holidays just around the corner, AutoMD.com today released its list of the Top Five Holiday Gifts for the growing population of car owners who are driving their vehicles to the 150K mark and beyond. A recent report(1) from AutoMD.com revealed that the majority of car owners surveyed plan to hold onto their cars well past the 150,000-mile mark, with nearly 80% racking up even more miles (up to or over 50,000 more miles) than they put on their previous vehicle.
"Today's challenging economy means that many consumers need to get the longest life possible out of their vehicle, so our experts have put together a list - customized for longer life vehicles - of inexpensive and useful gifts to help prolong a vehicle's overall health, inside and out," said Brian Hafer , VP Marketing at AutoMD.com.
AutoMD.com's Top Five 'Must-Have' Holiday Gifts to Keep Your Car on the Road Longer, and Looking Good!
- Tire Gauge –Keeping tires and wheels aligned, balanced, and properly inflated improves vehicle performance and increases tire life. Tire pressure should be checked once a month with a quality digital or pencil-type pressure gauge. Digital gauges, which can range in price from $10 - $30, are usually more accurate, but a quality pencil-type gauge, which retails for $5-$10, can work just as well. How to check tire pressure
- Air Compressor –Tire maintenance is critical to a smooth and safe vehicle ride and proper maintenance starts with keeping all four tires properly inflated. Properly inflated tires should last longer, and are less likely to sustain significant damage from potholes and other road hazards. A portable air compressor makes it easy to inflate tires at home or on the road. As a bonus, some of these portable air compressors include a 12-volt battery pack for jumpstarting the car in the case of a dead battery. Portable air compressors retail between $50 - $100.
- Waterless Wash and Wax Kits – As a vehicle ages, the paint/finish becomes more vulnerable to oxidation, scratches, chipping, and eventually rust. Regular washing and waxing helps stave off this aging process. Waterless wash and wax kits are a convenient and 'earth-friendly' option and come with everything car owners need to keep their cars clean without turning on a water hose, including cleaning solution, special towels and wax. These waterless wash and wax kits can cost from $20 to over $100 depending on the size and contents of the kit. And, don't neglect the car's interior. Products which can help clean and protect the dashboard, steering wheel, windows – even leather upholstery –make excellent stocking stuffers. Armor All sells cleaning wipes for about $5, bottles of protectant cost approximately $10, and larger gift packs cost $75.
- Vehicle-Specific Repair Manuals – Ignoring preventative maintenance and/or failing to make minor car repairs today could mean thousands of dollars in auto repair bills tomorrow. According to the AutoMD.com experts, there are simple car repairs and maintenance tasks car owners can, and should, do themselves (http://www.automd.com/about-automd/press/6-29-2010/). Haynes and Chilton Repair Manuals are vehicle specific, available for most makes and models, and are the choice of AutoMD.com mechanics for the do-it-yourselfer, or even for the DFMer who wants to learn more about auto repair. At a little under $30.00 each, the manuals provide an in-depth look at specific areas of auto repair and include step-by-step procedures, enhanced photos, troubleshooting guides, electrical diagrams, and valuable short cuts. While these manuals are a nice addition to the bookshelf of the dedicated, or aspiring, auto repair DIYer, AutoMD.com provides many How-to Guides, Videos, and access to an Auto Answers forum – as well as an iPhone mobile app – all for the cost of typing in a url: www.automd.com, and these apps aren't as heavy as a manual. Plus, they're FREE.
- A New Set of Floor Mats – Easy to clean and available in a wide range of colors and styles, floor mats can spruce up the look of a car's interior while also protecting its carpeting. A set of floor mats can range in price from $30 to $70 depending on the vehicle, and how many floor mats are included. Customized floor mats are also available and allow car owners to specify color, design, and can even include specialized embroidery. Customized floor mats can cost hundreds of dollars depending on the make and model of your vehicle. To protect your new floor mats, inexpensive liners are also available. These liners are typically made of rubber and depending on the size and number in each set, can cost from $20 to $50.
For even more information, click here for the Top Five Tips for Maintaining High-Mileage Vehicles: http://www.automd.com/about-automd/press/07-27-2011/
(1) Car Owners Continue to Hold Onto Their Cars and Put On More Miles, according to AutoMD.com Report, http://www.automd.com/about-automd/press/07-07-2011/
AutoMD.com™ (www.automd.com), a wholly-owned subsidiary of US Auto Parts Network, Inc., (Nasdaq: PRTS), is the most comprehensive and unbiased free online automotive repair resource designed to empower car owners with the best way to repair their vehicles. Backed by a team of automotive data specialists and certified auto mechanics who are advocates for the car owner, AutoMD.com allows both car owners and DIYers to 1. Troubleshoot car problems, 2. Know how much auto repairs should cost, 3. Understand the steps needed and the time it should take with How-to Auto Repair guides, 4. Find the right local auto repair shop at the right price for their issue, and 5. Get auto repair questions answered by the AutoMD.com community. AutoMD.com was named Best Automotive Website in the 8th annual American Business Awards, also known as the as the Stevie® Awards. AutoMD Mobile is available for the iPhone at iTunes.
More by this Source
Doing More of Your Own Auto Repairs Lately? Five Must-have Tools for Your Garage
Dec 14, 2012, 08:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.