LOS ANGELES, Dec. 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Micah Muzio of Kelley Blue Book took top honors in the Best Vehicle Review (Video) category for his 10-point analysis of the 2015 Polaris Slingshot at last night's Annual Motor Press Guild Awards, held at the Petersen Automotive Museum, and in doing so, also earned him the 2015 Dean Batchelor Award for Excellence in Automotive Journalism. The entertaining seven-minute video, which outlines the pros and cons of this unusual three-wheeled motorcycle, was deemed by MPG judges to be the best of all submissions from journalists across North America.
Also recognized was legendary PR man and Promoter Doug Stokes, who became the latest recipient of MPG's Lifetime Achievement Award. Presented by Automotive Historian Harold Osmer, the award turned the spotlight on Doug's exceptional behind-the-scenes public relations contributions to motorsports and the racing industry.
A member of the Motor Press Guild since it was renamed from IMPA-West in the mid-1980's, Doug has supported motorsports for more than 45 years, representing such notable and iconic figures as Mickey and Trudy Thompson, Gale Banks, Stuart Rowlands, and Steve Ford, and supporting racing efforts for Honda, Suzuki, the Kazarian Brothers, and Lucas Oil. Doug has served as Vice President of Communications at Irwindale Event Center since 2013, and has previously been honored with the Chapman Award for PR by the American Auto Racing Writers & Broadcasters Association.
The MPG's "annual celebration of journalistic excellence" is intended to inspire automotive journalists, both present and future, to produce work of the highest professional caliber in eight specific categories, including feature articles, news stories, vehicle reviews (in both print and video format), books, audio programs, video features, and photography.
The Motor Press Guild was extremely proud to recognize these deserving parties for their excellent contributions to automotive journalism this past year.
Congratulations to the following individuals who took top honors in their individual categories:
- DEAN BATCHELOR AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN AUTOMOTIVE JOURNALISM & BEST VEHICLE REVIEW (VIDEO): Micah Muzio and COTU Productions: "2015 Polaris Slingshot Review" -- KBB.com
- DEAN BATCHELOR LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: Doug Stokes
- FEATURE ARTICLE: Larry P. Vellequette and Luca Ciferri: "The Coming Squeeze" -- Automotive News
- NEWS ARTICLE: Hans Greimel: "Confessions of a Price Fixer" -- Automotive News
- VEHICLE REVIEW: Basem Wasef: "Review: The Ferocious New Corvette Z06 is an $80K Ferrari-Killer" -- Wired
- AUDIO: Charlie Vogelheim and Shawn Myers: "#35: The Best and Worst 'Cars and Coffee' Ever" -- Motor Trend Audio
- BOOKS: Sam Posey: "Where the Writer Meets the Road" -- David Bull Publishing
- FEATURE VIDEO: Adam Carolla, Nate Adams, Mike August, Matt D'Andria, and Norm Pattiz: "Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman" -- Sontalia, Mollette
- BOB D'OLIVO AWARD FOR PHOTOGRAPHY: Dale Kistemaker: "24+30" -- Porsche Panorama
About the Motor Press Guild Awards
The Motor Press Guild Awards single out persons demonstrating outstanding achievement in automotive journalism and communications. Judging for each category is conducted by MPG members and non-members appointed by the Chair of the MPG Awards Committee, and a final panel of three judges, including the Chair of the MPG Awards Committee as Head Judge, selects the winner of the Dean Batchelor Award from amongst the category winners. Selected separately by the Motor Press Guild Board of Directors, the Lifetime Achievement Award is presented on a case-by-case basis to individuals for their outstanding contributions to the automotive communications industry.
About the Motor Press Guild
The Los Angeles-based Motor Press Guild (MPG) is the largest automotive media association in North America. This exclusive, non-profit organization is dedicated to upholding the highest ideals in automotive journalism and promoting education and information exchange within the motoring press. For more information, please visit www.motorpressguild.org.
Chair, MPG Publicity
SOURCE Motor Press Guild (MPG)