IRVINE, Calif., Jan. 13, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., Telecommunication Systems Division (Toshiba — www.telecom.toshiba.com) today announced an extensive feature enhancement to its UCedge® unified communications app. UCedge is redefining Unified Communications with enhanced visibility, collaboration and XMPP federation across Toshiba premise and cloud business telephone systems and third-party solutions, including Microsoft® Skype® for Business (previously Lync®).
Available for Android™ and Apple® smartphones and tablets as well as Windows® and Mac® laptop and desktop computers, UCedge can be downloaded from Google Play™, the Apple App Store™ and Google Chrome Web Store™. UCedge works with Toshiba's VIPedge® cloud and IPedge® premise telephone systems as well as Strata® CIX systems with an IPedge Application Server.
"UCedge gives users the power to communicate how, where and when they want — via smartphone, PC or tablet — and with whomever they want — via XMPP federation — by unifying their communications across platforms," said Brian Metherell, vice president and general manager of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., Telecommunication Systems Division. "UCedge increases productivity for users in different locations and on diverse Toshiba and third-party platforms, including Microsoft Skype for Business."
UCedge XMPP Federation Makes It Easier to Collaborate With Others
Support for the XMPP protocol enables users connected to disparate servers — deployed on-site or in the cloud — to whitelist each other to share contacts, view presence status information, exchange instant messages, and call users via one-touch. This includes external organizations using Toshiba software as well as Microsoft Skype for Business clients (via XMPP gateway) as well as other third-party systems that comply with XMPP standards.
XMPP federation further enhances communications to ensure that users will be able to collaborate with colleagues and customers quickly and efficiently in real-time using:
- Contacts with avatars. Quickly find and call your colleagues without having to remember their internal extensions or external phone numbers. Upload an image to represent you in contacts, instant messaging, calling, voice mail and call history.
- Presence. Save time by seeing the status of UCedge users on the Toshiba phone systems, external Microsoft Skype for Business Server, or other third-party XMPP compliant system (via federation) before you call them. See if they're present, busy or away, where they are and whether they're open for instant messaging.
- Instant Messaging (IM). Get more done through instant messaging with colleagues who are busy or on the phone. IM individually, invite users to join a group IM session, or broadcast messages to a group.
UCedge Delivers New Levels of Convenience, Productivity and Cost Savings
- Work from virtually anywhere using personal or business laptops, desktops or mobile devices as a business phone extension.
- Communicate with Skype for Business server users and see their presence status before calling them.
- Use the same client application across devices — learn it once and use it.
- Protect mobile number privacy by displaying only the office phone number in caller ID.
- Connect via IM with colleagues who are busy or on the phone.
- Rapidly find contacts in a list synchronized with the office phone system and user-provided avatars.
- Use UCedge from up to three devices at the same time, synchronize real-time in the cloud, and view consolidated instant messages and call history from any of the devices.
- Enable easier connections with one-number reach, regardless if a user is in or out of the office or out of the country.
- Manage office voice mails easily and quickly with a visual interface on a mobile device.
- Stay in touch and place long-distance and international calls to contacts from a cell phone at landline rates.
- Pair mobile devices with a Toshiba desk phone to conveniently dial the phone via the UCedge client interface.
- Communicate via Callback/Callthru over cellular and softphone over LAN or Wi-Fi®.
Tighter Integration With Toshiba's IPedge and VIPedge Applications
- New softphone enhancement for iPhone® and iPad® with Cloud Sync functionality across platforms now available for download from the App Store.
- Multi-line Support for softphones or pairing with desk phones that enables users to have multiple calls on the mobile device at the same time.
- Customizable Buttons that give users quick dialing for any number, such as frequently dialed numbers and conference PINs.
- Voice Mail Recording Customizable Buttons that enable users to easily start or stop recording a conversation.
- Voice Mail and Fax Mail Support for all mailbox features including Inbox, Saved messages, and Deleted messages. UCedge can also receive fax mail messages. Users can now reply to voice mail or forward voice mail to another mailbox or to email.
- Greetings Management for user to record or change greetings.
- Follow Me feature for routing calls to any number.
- Native Dialer Intercept for Callback/Callthru Operation that allows mobile users to also use their local phone book to make calls. (Note: available for Android users only)
- Call Alert/In Call Menu that provides notifications of a missed call from the mailbox so the user can easily route the call to the mobile phone or other destination. After the call is answered on a mobile phone, it can be transferred to an extension.
- Compact Mode Support for Mac/Windows so the UCedge client is shown in a smaller, sizable window, which occupies very little desktop space.
- New Set-up Wizard and User Tutorial that helps the user properly configure the device from initial start-up. Each time the user accesses a new feature, instructions pop up to help the user.
- Enterprise Manager Personal Admin (EMPA), a tool that enables users to self-administrate their user settings.
Delivering feature transparency across all locations, regardless of the deployment, UCedge is compatible with Toshiba's VIPedge and IPedge business phone solutions as well as Strata CIX systems with an IPedge Application Server.
UCedge is compatible with Windows 10 or later and Mac OS X® 10.9 or later. It is also compatible with a wide variety of Android and Apple mobile devices, including selected smartphone models from Apple, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Sony and LG, as well as tablets from Toshiba, Apple and Samsung.
The UCedge client for Windows and Mac computers is available as a download from the Google Chrome Web Store. The UCedge client for mobile devices is available as a download from the Apple App Store and Google Play. All devices require a data plan, either cellular data, Wi-Fi® or LAN data access as applicable.
UCedge is available in four versions:
- UCedge for Android: OS 4.x or above
- UCedge for iOS: OS 7 or above
- UCedge for Windows: XP, & (32- and 64-bit), 8, 8.1, 10, and Terminal Server as well as Chrome Browser Version 39 or above
- UCedge for Mac: Mac 10.9 or above, Chrome Browser Version 39 or above
Licenses for the UCedge client are provided as part of the VIPedge solution and are available as an option for the IPedge or Strata CIX systems.
For Windows and Mac computers:
For Android devices:
For Apple iPhone and iPad devices:
For More Information:
For the UCedge Infographic, visit
For the UCedge video, visit:
For more information, view the UCedge brochure:
About Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc.
Telecommunication Systems Division (TSD)
Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., Telecommunication Systems Division is one of the four business units of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. (TAIS) and offers business communication solutions for SMB enterprises and enterprises with multi-site or regional locations. Toshiba's VIPedge cloud-based business telephone solution supports up to 500 users, and the IPedge and Strata CIX systems support from 8 to 1,000 users and offer Voice over IP, voice mail and unified messaging, conferencing and collaboration, unified communications applications, networking, mobility and more. Together with Toshiba's PCs, tablets, copiers, and surveillance video cameras/recorders, Toshiba's Telecommunication Systems Division helps enterprises maximize business efficiency in communications and mobility. Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., TAIS is an independent operating company owned by Toshiba America, Inc., a subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation. For more information, visit www.Telecom.Toshiba.com.
Toshiba Corporation, a Fortune 500 company, channels world-class capabilities in advanced electronic and electrical product and systems into five strategic business domains: Energy & Infrastructure, Community Solutions, Healthcare Systems & Services, Electronic Devices & Components, and Lifestyles Products & Services. Guided by the principles of The Basic Commitment of the Toshiba Group, "Committed to People, Committed to the Future", Toshiba promotes global operations towards securing "Growth Through Creativity and Innovation", and is contributing to the achievement of a world in which people everywhere live in safe, secure and comfortable society. Founded in Tokyo in 1875, today's Toshiba is at the heart of a global network of over 584 consolidated companies employing more than 198,000 people worldwide, with annual sales surpassing 6.6 trillion yen (US$55 billion). To find out more about Toshiba, visit www.toshiba.co.jp/index.htm.
For additional information, or to purchase Toshiba telecommunication products, visit http://www.telecom.toshiba.com for an Authorized Toshiba Dealer.
To subscribe to the Toshiba Telecom Blog, visit http://blog.telecom.toshiba.com/.
Follow us on Facebook (ToshibaPhoneSystems), Twitter (toshibaphonesys) and LinkedIn (Toshiba-telecommunication-systems-division).
© 2016 Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. All product, service and company names are trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of their respective owners. Information including, without limitation, product prices, specifications, availability, content of services, and contact information is subject to change without notice.
Toshiba PR Contact:
Teri Sawyer, T&Co.
SOURCE Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., Telecommunication Systems Division