PORTLAND, Ore., May 24, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The Oregon Tourism Commission, dba Travel Oregon, confirms that 2015 was the travel industry's sixth consecutive year of accelerated growth and economic impact, reaching new heights in revenues for the state. Independent findings by Dean Runyan Associates indicate that travel-related spending increased by nearly $500 million last year to achieve a record $10.8 billion in revenues.
"The travel and tourism industry continues to drive economic development in the state of Oregon and is helping to build strong and sustainable local economies," said Todd Davidson, CEO of Travel Oregon. "Travel-related spending, employment and earnings are increasing across the state, spurring job growth in our cities as well as our suburban and rural communities."
The report, which provides detailed statewide, regional and county travel impact estimates, found:
- Visitors to Oregon generated $10.8 billion in revenue for the state in 2015. This is a 6.6% percent increase in spending in real dollars over 2014 and marked the sixth consecutive year of growth.
- Last year 27.7 million overnight visitors traveled to Oregon destinations, increasing hotel room demand across all of Oregon's tourism regions by 4.8 percent.
- Domestic visitor air arrivals to Oregon grew 8.9 percent for the year.
- Travel-generated employment increased 4.1 percent over the prior year, resulting in 105,500 travel industry jobs across the state.
- Re-spending of travel-generated revenues by businesses and employees generates additional impacts. In 2015, these secondary impacts were equivalent to 54,800 jobs with earnings of $2.4 billion.
- The gross domestic product of the travel industry was $4.3 billion in 2015. Overall, the travel industry is one of the three largest export-oriented industries in rural Oregon counties.
Findings reported by Dean Runyan Associates demonstrate the economic significance of the travel industry in Oregon. To read the report in its entirety, including specific regional and county breakouts, go to Industry.TravelOregon.com/EconomicImpact.
About Travel Oregon
The Oregon Tourism Commission, dba Travel Oregon, works to enhance visitors' experiences by providing information, resources and trip planning tools that inspire travel and consistently convey the exceptional quality of Oregon. The commission aims to improve Oregonians' quality of life by strengthening economic impacts of the state's $10.8 billion tourism industry that employs more than 105,000 Oregonians. Visit TravelOregon.com to learn more.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tourism-spending-in-oregon-surges-for-sixth-consecutive-year-300274413.html
SOURCE Travel Oregon