Tracy Aviary Visitors Center Achieves LEED® Gold Certification
SALT LAKE CITY, Aug. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Tracy Aviary recently received LEED® Gold certification on their new Visitors Center. This is Tracy Aviary's second LEED® Gold building and adds to the organization's portfolio of environmentally sensitive practices.
The Visitors Center, which was completed by Big-D Construction and ajc architects through the design-build process, opened to the public in December of 2011.
Many sustainable features have been incorporated into the development of this building, including:
- Bird safe building featuring 3 different window treatments that reduce bird strikes and resulting injury/mortality
- Pre-cleansing and retention of roof storm water through the use of retention and detention ponds
- Using 20 percent less water than a building of comparable size and function
- Using Forest Stewardship Council certified woods for 95 percent of the wood that was used
- Incorporating more than 20 percent recycled content in the materials used for the construction of building and site work
- Providing more than 13 percent of the building's electrical needs through rooftop photovoltaic panels
- Diverting more than 60 percent of construction related waste from landfills for other uses
- Incorporating multiple measures to improve the environmental health of the building for occupants, including the use of air filters, improved ventilation and air quality monitoring, no harmful construction chemicals, etc.
The new Visitors Center aims to support the experiential, educational and sustainability mission of Tracy Aviary. But this landmark project is not, of course, the end of the Tracy Aviary story that began when Salt Lake City banker Russell Lord Tracy donated his private bird collection to Salt Lake City and its children in 1938. The ongoing and unprecedented transformation continues with several projects that have been constructed in the past few years, and several more on the docket.
The Tracy Aviary currently maintains a collection of approximately 400 birds representing about 135 species, and many of these birds are considered rare or endangered. Exhibits represent different bird habitats found north and south along the Western Hemispheric Flyway – the migratory route used by bird species that frequent the Great Salt Lake and other Utah landscapes.
About Tracy Aviary
Tracy Aviary is located 589 East 1300 South inside Liberty Park (enter from 900 South and 600 East). Regular hours of operation: daily from 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Cost: $7 for adults, $6 for seniors and students, $5 for children ages 3-12, children under 3 are free. Through the end of August, Tracy Aviary's $5 after 5pm promotion is in effect and the oasis will be open until 8pm on Monday nights. Tracy Aviary fosters caring for the natural world, enriching and transforming lives through our connection with birds. For more information please visit www.tracyaviary.org.
About Big-D Construction
Big-D Construction Corporation has more than 44 years of experience in providing Design-Build, General Contracting and Construction Management services to customers from a wide variety of industries. As one of the largest construction companies in the country, Big-D employs more than 800 associates throughout the western United States. Regional offices are located in Salt Lake City, Ogden and Lindon, Utah; Pleasanton, California; Phoenix, Arizona; and Jackson Hole, Wyoming. For more information, please visit www.big-d.com.
About ajc architects
ajc architects has been providing architectural design and consulting services to the intermountain region and nation-wide for the past 21 years. Our practice is focused on sustainable and site specific solutions to our client's needs. For more information, please visit www.ajcarchitects.com.
Snapp Conner PR for Big-D Construction
SOURCE Big-D Construction
More by this Source
Big-D Construction Receives 2013 Federal Energy and Water Management Award
Jan 23, 2014, 10:43 ET
Big-D Receives Incentive Rebate for Safety
Jan 06, 2014, 11:26 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.