COLUMBUS, Ohio, Aug. 2, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Equitas Health's Institute for LGBTQ Health Equity will host its second annual conference bringing together 550 activists, academics, community members, health and social service professionals to address health disparities affecting the LGBTQ and HIV/AIDS community. The conference will take place at The Ohio State University - Fawcett Center October 19th – 20th.
This year's theme will be "Health Across the Lifespan" with sessions focusing on:
- Mental and Behavioral Health
- Access to Care
- Cultural Competency/Humility
- Advocacy and Community Engagement
"With more than 50 sessions, this conference is a unique opportunity for professionals and community members to come together to share not only research and best practices but practical information like family planning, social justice organizing techniques, wellness activities, and health and safety initiatives," said Julia Applegate, Director of the Institute for LGBTQ Health Equity.
Partnership with WPATH:
- WPATH, the World Professional Association for Transgender Health, the international leader in interdisciplinary professional and educational trainings on transgender health, will host a trans health cultural competency training for health care providers Friday and Saturday, October 20-21st. Additional details and registration to be announced.
- Gary J. Gates, PhD, a recognized expert on the geography and demography of the LGBTQ population and a former research director at UCLA's Williams Institute.
- Julia Serano, an Oakland, California-based writer, performer, biologist, and activist. She is best known for her 2007 book Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity.
- Naina Khanna, A national speaker, trainer, and advocate, who has worked in the HIV field since 2005, following her HIV diagnosis in 2002.
Ohio Health Wellness Fair:
- Attendees will connect with health and social service providers and community resources who offer HIV/AIDS and LGBTQ competent care. Health and wellness screenings and referrals will also be offered. Click here for free vendor registration.
Transforming Care Awards:
- Recognize the work of people and organizations who have made significant contributions to the health and wellness of the LGBTQ community. Submit a nomination by September 8, 2017.
Visit www.transformingcareconference.com for more information or to register.
ABOUT EQUITAS HEALTH
Equitas Health (formerly AIDS Resource Center Ohio) is a not-for-profit community-based healthcare system founded in 1984. Its expanded mission has made it one of the nation's largest HIV/AIDS, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) healthcare organizations. www.equitashealth.com
Alyssa Chenault, (614) 526-4161
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/transforming-care-lgbtq--hivaids-health-equity-conference-300498495.html
SOURCE Equitas Health