SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Travel-Ticker®, a leading inspirational travel website, today announced the results of its 2012 Travel-Ticker Traveler Intentions Survey, which revealed the opinions of over 2,300 U.S. consumers on their travel intentions for the upcoming year. The results indicated that travel is on the rise: 44 percent of respondents plan on taking more leisure trips in 2012 than they did in 2011, a five percent increase from last year. And that number may even go up because a whopping 96 percent of respondents are looking to fit more travel into 2012 if they are able to find good deals in the New Year.
"We are thrilled to see that folks are willing to fit more travel into 2012 and are looking for good deals to help them do so," said L. Jasmine Kim, General Manager of Travel-Ticker. "Here at Travel-Ticker, we are committed to inspiring travelers to make their vacation dreams come true. To do that, we continually handpick the best, most affordable deals to destinations across the globe."
According to the 2012 Traveler Intentions Survey:
Wanderlust Is Rising, Especially for Sunny Skies
- Of the 86 percent of respondents that intend to take the same or more leisure vacations in 2012, 33 percent gave credit for their travel situation to the fact that they'll have more free time to travel, 24 percent touted a better economic situation and 22 percent felt confident that better deals will be available.
- The majority of respondents (61 percent) listed a beach getaway as their most desired vacation in 2012, followed by a big city getaway (34 percent) and an outdoor adventure (28 percent).
Value Is Always Top of Mind
- When booking a vacation, 43 percent of respondents stated that they look for deals and discounts to help drive their decision.
- 71 percent agreed that "extras" such as dining credits, complimentary upgrades, excursions and activities are important when making a hotel decision for a vacation.
Travelers Plan to be More Flexible – Letting the Deal Inspire
- Only 30 percent of respondents this year stated they have a specific destination in mind when planning a vacation, down significantly from last year's 53 percent. The majority of folks appear to be looking for deals and discounts to guide them on where and when to travel. 57 percent of travelers said they would fit more leisure travel into 2012 if they found a great deal, up nearly 10 percent from last year.
- 67 percent identify themselves as "Flexible Travelers" when it comes to vacation planning. In this survey, Flexible Travelers are defined as being fairly organized and usually set out with a good idea of what kind of vacation they want to take, and while they keep a loose list of things to do and places to see, not every hour of the vacation is planned. Flexible Travelers like to allow time to explore their destination and not stress over a strenuous itinerary.
The Travel-Ticker Traveler Intentions Survey was conducted from November 14 until November 22, 2011, online among Travel-Ticker users, with 2,301 completed responses. More information on the survey is available upon request.
Travel-Ticker is an online inspirational travel website that is home to some of the best handpicked, insider deals at many of the world's favorite destinations. With an ear to the ground and an eye for the unique, Travel-Ticker's experts provide users with a geo-targeted platform and a weekly newsletter to browse for researched travel bargains, the latest travel trends, and editorial insight. Travel-Ticker is an independent business unit of The Hotwire Group. For more information, visit us at www.travel-ticker.com and join us on Twitter (@travel_ticker) and Facebook. In addition to Travel-Ticker, The Hotwire Group of websites includes: www.hotwire.com, www.travel-ticker.com and www.carrentals.com.
Travel Ticker and the Travel-Ticker logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotwire, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. © 2011 Hotwire, Inc. All rights reserved. CST# 2053390-40