WABAN, Mass., March 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Based on a study of 10,000 U.S consumers, TriCare and Kaiser Permanente earned the top spots in the health insurance sector of the 2013 Temkin Experience Ratings. At the other end of the spectrum, Empire (BCBS), Medicaid, and Highmark (BCBS) were the lowest-rated health plans. The health plan industry has the second-lowest average rating across 19 industries. Only TV service providers earned a lower average score.
"While health plans continue to deliver terrible customer experience, there's some glimmer of hope, as the industry's ratings have consistently improved over the last three years," states Bruce Temkin, managing partner of Temkin Group.
The Temkin Experience Ratings evaluates three areas of customer experience: functional (can customers do what they want to do), accessible (how easy it is to work with the company), and emotional (how consumers feel about their interactions).
The 2013 Temkin Experience Ratings includes 15 health plans: Aetna, Anthem (BCBS), Blue Shield of California, CareFirst (BCBS), CIGNA, Coventry Health Care, Empire (BCBS), Health Net, Highmark (BCBS), Humana, Kaiser Permanente, Medicaid, Medicare, TriCare, and United Healthcare.
Here are some additional findings from the research:
- The average rating for health plans has been steadily improving over the last three years, from an average of 50.3% in 2011 to 54.8% in 2013.
- The highest-ranked health plan, TriCare, is #78 across all industries in the ratings. The plan's rating of 71% is six percentage points ahead of the second-highest-ranked health plan, Kaiser Permanente.
- TriCare earned the top marks for functional and emotional experience while Kaiser Permanente earned the top accessible rating.
- The lowest-ranked health plan, Empire (BCBS), was the only plan with a "very poor" rating. Thirteen of the 15 health insurance plans have "poor" or "very poor" ratings.
- TriCare made the largest improvement from 2012, increasing 12 percentage points. Next on the list, Anthem (BCBS) gained eight percentage points and Highpoint (BCBS) gained seven percentage points.
- Three plans tied for the lowest functional rating: CareFirst (BCBS), Health Net, and Empire (BCBS).
- Medicaid earned the lowest rating for the accessible component.
- CIGNA and CareFirst (BCBS) earned the lowest emotional ratings.
The 2013 Temkin Experience Ratings along with other ratings can be accessed at the Temkin Ratings website, www.TemkinRatings.com.
The report "2013 Temkin Experience Ratings" can be downloaded for free from the Customer Experience Matters® blog, at ExperienceMatters.wordpress.com as well as from the Temkin Group website, www.TemkinGroup.com.
About Temkin Group: Temkin Group is widely recognized as a leading customer experience research and consulting firm. Many of the world's largest brands rely on its insights and advice to steer their transformational journeys. Temkin Group combines customer experience thought leadership with a deep understanding of the dynamics of organizations to help accelerate results. Rather than layering on cosmetic changes, Temkin Group helps companies embed practices within their culture by building four critical competencies: Purposeful Leadership, Employee Engagement, Compelling Brand Values, and Customer Connectedness. The firm's ongoing research identifies leading and emerging best practices across a wide range of activities for engaging the hearts and minds of customers, employees, and partners. For more information, contact Bruce Temkin at 617-916-2075 or send an Email.
About Bruce Temkin: Bruce Temkin is widely recognized as a customer experience thought leader and is Customer Experience Transformist and Managing Partner of Temkin Group. He is also the author of a very popular blog, Customer Experience Matters® (ExperienceMatters.wordpress.com). Prior to forming Temkin Group, he was a VP at Forrester Research for 12 years. Bruce is a highly demanded speaker who consistently receives high marks for his content-rich, entertaining keynote addresses. He is also the co-founder and Chair of the Customer Experience Professionals Association (CXPA.org), a global non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of customer experience management.
Customer experience matters is a registered trademark of Temkin Group.
This press release was issued through eReleases® Press Release Distribution. For more information, visit http://www.ereleases.com.
SOURCE Temkin Group