Trinity University Researchers Reveal Initial Findings of Wizard101 Research Study
PLANO, Texas, May 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Communication researchers from Trinity University, in conjunction with online game developer and publisher KingsIsle Entertainment, today revealed initial high-level findings from an extensive anonymous survey of more than 30,000 Wizard101 player volunteers. Conducted in March 2011, the survey focused on intergenerational play within the online game Wizard101 and asked questions regarding online play habits and opinions related to families playing the game together.
- Intergenerational play is an important and emerging dimension within online games.
- Many families (children, parents and grandparents) are not only playing games together online, but they report being brought closer together by playing them.
- Many creative communities have emerged from online games; this is particularly evident in Wizard101.
- Players report building on the foundational narrative of Wizard101 to imagine their own stories and create works of art.
- Many parents report their children learn valuable academic and social skills from playing.
- Survey respondents indicate that playing Wizard101 teaches skills such as reading, math, goal-setting, and time and financial management.
- Survey responses indicate players are learning to value teamwork, cooperation, and interactions with other cultures.
- Players of all ages report learning more about family members when playing together.
"This is one of the largest studies of online game players conducted to date," said Dr. Aaron Delwiche, Associate Professor of Communication at Trinity University. "We were particularly impressed by the willingness of players to elaborate their opinions in answers to open-ended questions."
"Wizard101 players of all ages enjoy the game, and for many different reasons: from meeting friends to learning math to talking to grandma in the next state," said Dr. Jennifer Henderson, Associate Professor of Communication at Trinity University.
"This study demonstrates clearly that the stereotype of the dysfunctional, male teen gamer no longer holds," said the researchers. "At any time during the game, your teammate could be a kid, a neighbor, or a grandparent."
"I'm particularly amazed by the amount of creativity that the survey suggests is inspired by games like Wizard101," said Fred Howard, vice president of marketing at KingsIsle Entertainment. "At a time when school budgets across the country are being cut, I think it's more important than ever to be aware that certain online games have the potential to sharpen critical thinking, bring families together and inspire creative expression."
OVERVIEW OF SELECT FINDINGS
- Researchers surveyed over 30,000 Wizard101 players between the ages of 5 and 95. This is one of the largest studies of online gamers conducted to date.
- The study spanned five generations: post-Millennials (age 10 and younger), Millennials, Generation X, Baby Boomers, and the Silent Generation.
- 60% of responding children play Wizard101 with other family members; one-third of those children play with their parents or grandparents.
- 68% of responding adults play Wizard101 with other family members; approximately two-thirds of those adults play with their children or grandchildren.
- When asked what games they play with other family members, participants reported, in descending order, Wizard101, console games, board games, and card games.
IMAGINATION BEYOND THE GAME
- 20% of adult respondents engaged in some sort of additional creative activity related to the game. Blogging about the game was the most frequently mentioned activity, but many respondents also said that they created Wizard101 themed artwork and Wizard101 themed videos.
- 54% of child respondents engaged in some sort of additional creative activity related to the game. Within this group, 56% of children have created original Wizard101 themed artwork, 43% have created stories about the game and its characters, 25% have blogged about the game, 21% have created their own videos related to the game, and 19% have created original comics about the game.
- 45% of respondents to whom the question was posed felt that they had learned something about their family members by playing the game with them. For example, in open-ended responses, many participants were impressed by the way their family members demonstrated teamwork and cooperation in the game. "This really tells me how they go at the everyday problems in their lives," said one player.
- 55% of respondents to whom the question was posed felt that they had learned things from Wizard101. In open-ended responses, participants suggested that Wizard101 taught skills such as reading, math, goal-setting, and time and financial management. Others mentioned that they thought players were learning to value teamwork, cooperation, and interactions with other cultures.
Wizard101 players were eligible to participate in the survey if they either maintained an active paid membership to the game, or purchased Crowns (Wizard101's in-game currency) in the last 30 days.
About KingsIsle Entertainment, Inc.
KingsIsle Entertainment is a developer and publisher that specializes in creating high-quality massively multiplayer online games which provide entertainment for the entire family. Wizard101, KingsIsle's flagship property, received the Parent Tested Parent Approved Media Seal of Approval in 2009 and has been recognized by the National Parenting Publications Awards. Wizard101 was named Best MMO of 2010 by Beckett Massive Online Gamer Magazine, Best Family MMO of the Decade by Massively.com and the #1 Best Family Game of 2009 by MMORPG.com. The company's experienced and creative team is raising the bar in online entertainment by offering products with rich storylines, friendly navigation, top-quality art and fully-voiced characters. KingsIsle is headquartered in Plano, Texas, and has a development studio in Austin, Texas. For more information, please visit www.kingsisle.com.
KingsIsle and Wizard101 are trademarks or registered trademarks of KingsIsle Entertainment, Inc.
SOURCE KingsIsle Entertainment, Inc.
More by this Source
KingsIsle's Pirate101 Turns One!
Oct 15, 2013, 08:00 ET
Talk Like A Pirate And Play Pirate101 On A Mac
Sep 19, 2013, 11:42 ET
Today Is Wizard101's Birthday
Sep 03, 2013, 17:05 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.