Tucson's 2nd Saturdays Teams Up With Downtown Museums for "Tucson Rocks"
TUCSON, Ariz., Sept. 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- In October, 2nd Saturdays will team up with Downtown Tucson museums for "Tucson Rocks," a citywide celebration of the art of rock and roll. At the center of the celebration will be the famous photography exhibit "Who Shot Rock and Roll" which begins October 22 and is brought to Downtown from the Brooklyn Museum by the Tucson Museum of Art. A number of Downtown organizations and venues will support the Museum with "history of rock" events.
On October 8, 2nd Saturdays Downtown will feature the Tucson Symphony Orchestra at the historic Fox Theatre with a guest appearance from the one and only Elvis. Tickets are $20. In celebration of Tucson Rocks, local exhibits of rock and roll photography will be featured at Etherton Gallery, along with Zocalo Magazine's pop-up gallery at 245 E. Congress St, #171, featuring the work of local photographers.
Featured on the Scott Avenue Stage: ALL PERFORMANCES AT THE SCOTT STAGE ARE FREE!
- 6:00-7:15pm: Kate Becker & The Zodiacs. "Desert Funk" – influenced by Tim Buckley, Sly and the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, Willie Nelson, Billie Holiday, among other greats!
- 7:30-8:45pm: Cheepness. "Sonoran Dirty Rock" –rock that recalls a time when cranking guitar extravaganzas were the highest order of the day and rock fans were damn glad of it.
- 9:00-10:15pm: The Mission Creeps. "Surf-damaged-Rock-n-Roll" – a throwback to the dangerous edge of The Stooges and the serrated humor of The Cramps.
Featured at the Rialto Arts & Antiquities Patio: (SE corner of 5th Avenue & Congress Street)
- 6:00pm: Kevin and Tanishia Hamilton present SW Soul Celebration
Featured at the Hotel Congress:
- 6:00-11:00pm: Fall Folkapalooza
Fall fundraiser for the Tucson Kitchen Musicians Association's annual May Folk Festival with five bands.
This year, Tucson's Pride on Parade will be held in conjunction with 2nd Saturdays. The event's theme is "People Representing Individuality, Diversity and Equality." The parade will start at the corner of 6th Avenue and Pennington Street at 8:00 p.m.
As usual, the Cricket Kids' Area will be full of fun with the Cricket jumping castle and other activities. The FREE G-rated movie (to be determined) will begin at approximately 7:30 pm. Congress Street will also be lined with music, stilt-walkers, break dancers, living statues, and vendors. Downtown Merchants will offer discounts and specials.
2nd Saturdays Downtown runs from 5:30pm to 10:30pm. Sponsors are: Click Automotive Team, Cricket, Carondelet Health Network, KOLD-TV Channel 13, KHYT/KIIM Radio, KXCI 91.3FM Community Radio, MEB Property Management, Bank of Tucson and Providence Service Corp.
For a full schedule and parking info, visit www.2ndSaturdays.com.
For images and information on performers, contact: Program Director, Jamie Manser at 520-270-3213 firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOURCE 2nd Saturdays Downtown