UBM Canon and MD+DI Proudly Announce 27 Innovative Products as Winners of the 2013 Medical Design Excellence Awards MDEA Winners announced at 15th Anniversary ceremony at 30th MD&M East Event in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA, June 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- UBM Canon and Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry have announced the winning products of the 15th Anniversary Medical Design Excellence Awards (MDEA), the MedTech industry's premier competition for medical device design and innovation. The winners were announced at a presentation ceremony & reception held June 19 inside the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown hotel. The ceremony was held in conjunction with the 30th Anniversary MD&M East Event (www.MDMEast.com) at the adjacent Pennsylvania Convention Center. At the ceremony:
- The 2013 MDEA Finalists and their Suppliers, were honored for their innovative contributions to the MedTech industry.
- Bronze, Silver, and Gold Winners were announced in each category.
- The GORE Septal Occluder (manufactured by W. L. Gore & Associates) was awarded Gold in the Implant category as well as overall Best-in-Show.
- The t:slim Insulin Pump (manufactured by Tandem Diabetes Care ) won our MDDIonline.com READERS' CHOICE AWARD.
- Dr. Robert Langer was recognized as the 2013 MDEA Lifetime Achievement Award winner for his contributions over a long career that have had a demonstrable impact on technological, business, and cultural advancements in medical devices.
- The NCIIA announced the winners of the 2013 BMEidea biomedical engineering competition for university students
The MDEA Program recognizes the achievements of medical device manufacturers, their suppliers, and the many people behind the scenes—engineers, scientists, designers, and clinicians—who are responsible for the groundbreaking innovations that are changing the face of healthcare. MDEA-winning and finalist entries excel in the areas of product innovation, design and engineering achievement, end-user benefit, and cost-effectiveness in manufacturing and healthcare delivery.
A comprehensive review of the entries was performed by an impartial, multidisciplinary panel of third-party jurors with expertise in biomedical engineering, clinical practice, diagnostics, human factors, industrial design, manufacturing, and medicine. The 2013 MDEA Jury selected 27 winning products out of 46 finalists in 10 medical product categories.
"We are incredibly proud to celebrate a long tradition of innovation and design in medical device products," stated Heather Thompson, Editor-in-Chief, MD+DI. "This year marks the 15th anniversary of the MDEA awards, which have honored over 500 groundbreaking products."
2013 MDEA Winning Products and ManufacturerS.
Check out the 2013 MDEA Winners on MD+DI for a complete listing, including manufacturer, supplier, and submitter companies, as well as product photos and descriptions.
Critical-care and emergency medicine products
- GOLD WINNER – AccuVein AV400 vein illumination system, manufactured by AccuVein.
- SILVER WINNER – Companion 2 Driver System, manufactured by SynCardia Systems.
- BRONZE WINNER - Rota-Trach tracheostomy tube, manufactured by Vitaltec Corp.
Dental instruments, equipment, and supplies
- GOLD WINNER – EPIC Dental Diode Laser System, manufactured by BIOLASE.
- SILVER WINNER – Zimmer Trabecular Metal Dental Implant, manufactured by Zimmer Dental.
- BRONZE WINNER - Carestream CS 8100 Digital Panoramic System, manufactured by Carestream Dental.
- GOLD WINNER – Lantus & You Journal for Lantus SoloSTAR, manufactured by Sanofi.
General hospital devices and therapeutic products
- GOLD WINNER – Dansac NovaLife 1 & 2 Ostomy Pouches, manufactured by Dansac A/S.
- SILVER WINNER – Optiflow Junior Nasal Cannula, manufactured by Fisher & Paykel Healthcare.
- BRONZE WINNER - PowerGlide Midline Catheter, manufactured by Bard Access Systems.
Implant and tissue-replacement products
- GOLD WINNER and BEST-In-SHOW – GORE Septal Occluder, manufactured by W. L. Gore & Associates Inc.
- SILVER WINNER – Cochlear Nucleus CR120 Intraoperative Remote Assistant, manufactured by Cochlear Ltd.
- BRONZE WINNER - Orthofix Ankle Compression Nailing System, manufactured by Orthofix Inc.
In vitro diagnostics
- SILVER WINNER – EDGE Platform, manufactured by HTG Molecular Diagnostics.
- BRONZE WINNER - Irys Genomics platform, manufactured by BioNano Genomics.
Over-the-counter and self-care products
- GOLD WINNER – new Glucose Sensor Serter (not approved in the USA), manufactured by Medtronic Minimed.
- SILVER WINNER – SpeediCath Compact Set, manufactured by Coloplast A/S.
- BRONZE WINNER - Masimo iSpO2 Pulse Oximeter and the iSpO2 App, manufactured by Masimo.
Radiological and electromechanical devices
- GOLD WINNER – Acessa System, manufactured by Halt Medical Inc.
- SILVER WINNER – Liposonix Custom Contouring, manufactured by Solta Medical.
- BRONZE WINNER - Avedro KXL System for Accelerated Corneal Crosslinking, manufactured by Avedro.
Rehabilitation and assistive-technology products
- GOLD WINNER – Rifton TRAM transfer and mobility device, manufactured by Rifton Equipment
- SILVER WINNER – mySentry Remote Glucose Monitor, manufactured by Medtronic Diabetes.
- BRONZE WINNER - t:slim Insulin Pump, manufactured by Tandem Diabetes Care.
Surgical equipment, instruments, and supplies
- GOLD WINNER – Sonicision Cordless Ultrasonic Dissection System, manufactured by Covidien.
- SILVER WINNER – NeoChord DS1000 Chordae Replacement System, manufactured by NeoChord Inc.
- BRONZE WINNER - FORNISEE Lighted Uterine Manipulator System, manufactured by LSI SOLUTIONS.
The 2013 Medical Design Excellence Awards are sponsored by major industry suppliers: Platinum Sponsor: Phillips-Medisize, and Silver Sponsors: Design Concepts and Teleflex Medical OEM. We thank these major industry suppliers for their generous contributions which have helped to make this year's program possible.
For more information about the Medical Design Excellence Awards—including additional details about the manufacturers and suppliers that created the 2013 MDEA-winning products—visit www.MDEAwards.com or e-mail: email@example.com.
UBM Canon, the leading B2B media company dedicated exclusively to the global $3.0 trillion advanced manufacturing sector, helps support the flow of information, commerce and innovation in such sophisticated segments as medical devices and pharmaceutical development. UBM Canon also addresses cutting-edge developments in broader areas of advanced engineering design and manufacturing, and manufacturing processes and packaging. UBM Canon is part of UBM plc (UBM.L) a global provider of media and information services for professional B2B communities and markets.
SOURCE UBM Canon