Union Pacific Publishes 2011 Sustainability and Citizenship Report
- Environmental impact reduction and recycling achievements
- Record performances in employee safety, customer satisfaction, earnings per share
OMAHA, Neb., May 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Union Pacific today published its 2011 Sustainability and Citizenship Report featuring the company's commitment to environmental stewardship, safety, employee wellness, community outreach and support, customer satisfaction, and the highest standards of corporate governance and ethics. Union Pacific also submitted its Carbon Disclosure Project filing today.
"For 150 years, Union Pacific has been delivering the goods American businesses and families use daily," said Robert W. Turner, Union Pacific senior vice president - Corporate Relations. "We embrace the responsibility that comes with being a trusted transportation provider and are proud to continue our legacy by providing quality jobs, minimizing our environmental impact, providing value to customers and shareholders, and contributing to the communities where we live and work."
Following are the highlights of Union Pacific's 2011 Sustainability and Citizenship Report, which is available in PDF and HTML formats at www.up.com.
- The company received the Environmental Protection Agency's Clean Air Excellence Award recognizing emissions reduction innovation.
- The railroad purchased 100 new fuel-efficient locomotives in 2011 with plans to purchase an additional 200 in 2012 as part of North America's cleanest and most modern locomotive fleet.
- Union Pacific's Omaha headquarters location in February 2012 became the largest LEED-certified building in the state of Nebraska.
- The company captured and recycled more than 4 million gallons of used fuel and oil.
- The company recycled 250,000 tons of metal and more than 3,000 tons of other waste.
- Employees established an all-time safety record for the fourth consecutive year.
- Public safety at railroad crossings improved by 9 percent compared to 2010.
- Through its Union Pacific Crossing Accident Reduction Education and Safety program, the railroad conducted more than 8,000 outreach and training events reaching more than 700,000 people.
- Customer satisfaction results were at an all-time high.
- Union Pacific reported record earnings per share in 2011.
- The company hired approximately 4,500 people, including nearly 850 military veterans.
- Union Pacific donated more than $14 million and supported more than 2,500 nonprofits.
- Corporate Responsibility named Union Pacific to its 100 Best Corporate Citizens list.
In formulating its 2011 Sustainability and Citizenship Report, Union Pacific considered the Global Reporting Initiative's 2011 G3.1 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines as a standard framework. Union Pacific's 2011 greenhouse gas inventory was verified by Conestoga-Rovers & Associates. The railroad works with Trinity Consultants to compile its greenhouse gas inventory. Conestoga-Rovers & Associates and Trinity Consultants are independent organizations.
About Union Pacific
It was 150 years ago that Abraham Lincoln signed the Pacific Railway Act of July 1, 1862, creating the original Union Pacific. One of America's iconic companies, today Union Pacific Railroad is the principal operating company of Union Pacific Corporation (NYSE: UNP), linking 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country by rail and providing freight solutions and logistics expertise to the global supply chain. From 2000 through 2011, Union Pacific spent more than $31 billion on its network and operations, making needed investments in America's infrastructure and enhancing its ability to provide safe, reliable, fuel-efficient and environmentally responsible freight transportation. Union Pacific's diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Energy, Industrial Products and Intermodal. The railroad serves many of the fastest-growing U.S. population centers and emphasizes excellent customer service. Union Pacific operates competitive routes from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways, connects with Canada's rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major Mexico gateways.
SOURCE Union Pacific
More by this Source
Union Pacific Recognized for Commitment to Veteran Hiring
Mar 11, 2014, 15:45 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.