OMAHA, Neb., June 1, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Union Pacific's 2016 Building America Report, published today, details its safety, social, economic and environmental progress. The annual sustainability report highlights Union Pacific was the safest U.S. railroad for the second consecutive year, used 91 million fewer gallons of diesel and reduced water consumption by 290 million gallons of water. Union Pacific was the only Class I railroad to report water consumption to CDP.
"This year's Building America Report illustrates our contributions toward a sustainable economy by delivering value to our employees, customers, communities and shareholders," said Scott Moore, senior vice president - Corporate Relations. "As we report our progress, Union Pacific continues enhancing efforts to transport the country's goods by rail in a safe, efficient and environmentally responsible manner."
The Building America Report used the Global Reporting Initiative's global sustainability reporting standards as a guide to report Union Pacific's most material social responsibility issues. Key accomplishments outlined in Union Pacific's 2016 Building America Report include:
- The best annual employee safety performance in its 154-year history.
- Increased rail safety awareness through a digital campaign, reaching more than 32 million people.
- An "A" rating on the Carbon Disclosure Project's (CDP) Climate Change Survey and inclusion in CDP's S&P Climate Disclosure Leadership Index.
- Acquiring 160 locomotives meeting the Environmental Protection Agency's stringent Tier 4 emissions standards, which reduce particulate emissions by as much as 91 percent and nitrogen oxide emissions by as much as 90 percent, compared to locomotives built prior to EPA standards.
- Emissions reductions from fuel saving initiatives and volume reductions.
- Hiring 4 percent more women into its Operating Management Trainee program and continued efforts to attract women to Union Pacific.
This marks the eighth year Union Pacific reports its sustainability business practices and goals. More information about Union Pacific and access to the entire 2016 Building America Report are available at up.com.
ABOUT UNION PACIFIC
Union Pacific Railroad is the principal operating company of Union Pacific Corporation (NYSE: UNP). One of America's most recognized companies, Union Pacific Railroad connects 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country by rail, providing a critical link in the global supply chain. In the last 10 years, 2007-2016, Union Pacific invested approximately $34 billion in its network and operations to support America's transportation infrastructure. The railroad's diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Coal, Industrial Products and Intermodal. Union Pacific serves many of the fastest-growing U.S. population centers, operates from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways, connects with Canada's rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major Mexico gateways. Union Pacific provides value to its roughly 10,000 customers by delivering products in a safe, reliable, fuel-efficient and environmentally responsible manner.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/union-pacifics-sustainability-progress-spotlighted-in-2016-building-america-report-300466696.html
SOURCE Union Pacific