Unitrends Launches Industry's First Tiered Backup Appliance Recovery-943 combines tiered storage with tiered redundancy to maximize backup performance and optimize data access
COLUMBIA, S.C., Oct. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Unitrends today announced the launch of Recovery-943, the industry's first high-density, enterprise-class, tiered backup appliance. The solution is the latest addition to Unitrends' Recovery Series of scalable, all-in-one backup, archiving, instant recovery and disaster recovery appliances.
Recovery-943 provides customers with tiered storage inside a single appliance to maximize backup performance and optimize data access. Operating system (OS), metadata and backup sets are separated and stored on three different drive offerings inside the box: high-performance solid-state drives (SSDs) for OS data and RPM disks for metadata and the backup storage pool. Recovery-943 supports a maximum backup size of 50 terabytes (TB) with an unformatted usable physical storage capacity of 97 TB – all in a sleek 4U form factor unit. This design enables customers to protect large amounts of data for longer periods of time using a single appliance that takes up minimal rack space.
Since stored data is only as good as its level of accessibility, Unitrends combined Recovery-943's tiered storage design with tiered redundancy for maximum protection of both the data sets as well as the drives inside the appliance. The solution is configured with RAID-1 protection for OS and metadata sets, and RAID-60 across 36 three-TB backup storage drives. The appliance also includes dual power supplies and two fault-tolerant solid-state internal drives for the operating system to ensure drive performance even in the event of a hardware failure. Adding another layer of redundancy, customers also have the ability to easily replace a failed drive using the appliance's hot-swap capability.
"At a time when companies are pressed to do more with less, Recovery-943 provides customers with a single, high-performance appliance that backs up more data faster than ever before – and ensures that critical information is readily recoverable," said Dr. Mark Campbell, chief strategy and technology officer at Unitrends. "And, in typical Unitrends fashion, we did all of this at a price point and level of simplicity that meets the requirements of today's overtaxed IT departments and allows them to focus on their business rather than their backup."
Recovery-943 also includes the standard backup and recovery features found in all Recovery Series appliances, including:
- Enterprise-level heterogeneous backup – Protects more than 100 versions of operating systems, hypervisors and applications.
- Byte-level Adaptive Deduplication™ – Combines inline compression with post-processing data deduplication to ensure that protected data is available for immediate recovery.
- Instant recovery using failover virtualization – Recovers systems in less than five minutes, drastically reducing downtime due to a Windows or VMware system failure.
- Integrated dissimilar bare metal recovery for physical and virtual servers – Recovers entire server images to dissimilar physical or virtual hardware, regardless of make, model or installed components.
- Cloud-based disaster recovery – Enables private cloud (via Unitrends' appliances) and public cloud (via Unitrends' Vault2Cloud) disaster recovery.
- AES-256 bit encryption – Provides maximum security with minimal impact on corporate systems.
- Intuitive, federated, Web-based user interface – Allows administrators to manage all Unitrends appliances through a single, intuitive pane of glass.
Pricing and Availability
Unitrends' Recovery-943 rack appliance is now available for purchase at the promotional price of $99,995 through the end of the year. Standard pricing is $129,995, or $1,042 per raw TB and $2,000 per backup TB. Additionally, with Unitrends' No Limits Licensing, customers can protect rapidly growing IT environments without worrying about "backup tax", such as fees associated with protected system count, operating systems or applications.
The trusted provider of all-in-one backup solutions, Unitrends enables its customers to focus on their business instead of backup. The company's family of scalable, all-in-one appliances and software solutions for backup, archiving, instant recovery and disaster recovery protects corporate data, over 100 different versions of servers, operating systems (including Windows, Hyper-V, VMware, Mac OS, Linux, AIX, Solaris and many others), SAN, NAS, hypervisors (including VMware, Hyper-V and Xen) and applications (including Exchange, SQL, Oracle and many others). Unitrends is the preferred choice of IT professionals because the company sets the standard in virtual, physical and cloud server data protection with instant recovery that enables complete system recovery in less than five minutes while Unitrends' pricing offers the lowest TCO and ROI in the industry. Unitrends' U.S.-based support team boasts a 99% customer satisfaction rate. Visit www.unitrends.com.
Jackie Gerbus for Unitrends, Inc.