CLEVELAND, May 16, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- University Hospitals in Cleveland, Ohio, launched a year-long 150th anniversary commemoration on May 14, the actual "birth date" of the health system.
"The UH story began on May 14, 1866. Our institution and our community have seen a lot together since," says Thomas F. Zenty III, CEO, UH. "For 150 years, the relationship between University Hospitals and the people of Northeast Ohio has remained strong and true. It's a story of one singular community with health, trust and excellence at its core."
The roots of UH date back to 1866 when Cleveland's civic leaders created a community hospital to care for the sick and disabled. A modest house in downtown Cleveland on Wilson Street, which could only accommodate about 20 patients at a time, served as the forerunner for what is today known as University Hospitals.
Today, 150 years later, UH has grown into a super-regional integrated health care system with 18 hospitals and more than 40 outpatient centers across a 15-county region. The second-largest employer in the region, the health system includes Northeast Ohio's largest network of primary care and specialty care physicians and cares for one million patients.
University Hospitals is commemorating this milestone anniversary with events and investments that reflect and deepen the health system's deep community ties, inspire its 26,000 employees and look ahead to a bright future together.
The 150th anniversary commemoration officially kicked off on May 14 at Cleveland Convention Center with a celebration for 2,000 guests, including community leaders, benefactors and specials guests. The evening's emcee was Jim Donovan, WKYC Channel 3 anchor and former patient at UH Seidman Cancer Center.
Other 150th events during the year include:
- UH Days of Caring – monthly employee volunteer projects in service to neighboring communities. In partnership with United Way, UH's goal is to reach 150,000 volunteer hours.
- Family Health and Safety Days at each UH community medical center. These free community celebrations offer family-friendly activities featuring the UH Rainbow Babies & Children's Safety Squad – plus wellness screenings, safety tips and educational materials that promote healthy lifestyles for people of all ages.
- Employee-appreciation events each month through the anniversary year.
- Signature anniversary projects, including a commemorative history book and a documentary film.
- System-wide employee celebration picnic on July 9 at FirstEnergy Stadium, home of the Cleveland Browns.
Additional information about the 150th celebration can be found at: www.UH150.org
"UH's heritage as a civic beacon of hope and healing is a source of pride for all of us," said Mr. Zenty. "Our history is richly woven into the growth of this community, and we are committed to being a leader in its future."
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/university-hospitals-kicked-off-150-year-anniversary-commemoration-300269299.html
SOURCE University Hospitals, Cleveland