VIRGINIA KEY, Fla., Nov. 5, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The University of Miami (UM) Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) invites media outlets to a one-hour media briefing on Thursday, November 12, from 10:00 to 11:00 am on the state of the science, potential solutions, adaptation measures and implications for water and food security at UM RSMAS SLAB Building, 2nd Floor Seminar Room, Virginia Key, FL 33149 on the state of the science, potential solutions, adaptation measures and implications for water and food security. The media workshop is scheduled a day prior to the November 13th one-day IPCC meeting on "The Gathering Threat of Climate Change and its Implications for Water Security and Sea Level Rise."
The workshop, which will include questions and answers, is designed to enhance reporters' knowledge and understanding of climate science and the IPCC process for assessing climate change and the options for adapting to and preventing it.
Topics to be covered include:
- The Role of the IPCC, Lance Ignon, IPCC Communications Consultant (10 minutes) The IPCC process for assessing climate change and its implications.
- Introduction to Climate Science, Ben Kirtman IPCC Coordinating Lead Author of IPCC Working Group (WG) I – Basics of climate science atmospheric science – greenhouse gases, emissions, human impacts (15 minutes)
- Impacts of Climate Change and Solution Options by Hans-Otto Pörtner, Co-Chair of IPCC Working Group (WG) II, IPCC (15 min)
- Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation for the Caribbean Islands, and South-East United States by John Agard, IPCC Author (WGII) (15 min)
- Human Security, Including Food and Water Security by Úrsula Oswald-Spring, IPCC Author (WGII) (15 min)
- Q&A session (30 minutes)
The media are also welcome to attend a moderated panel discussion with local practitioners and stakeholders from South Florida and Caribbean Islands with participation of IPCC and UM authors. Moderator: Kenny Broad – Professor and Chair, Department of Marine Ecosystems and Society UM/RSMAS
When: 2-4 pm, Friday, November 13.
Where: UM Coral Gables campus, BankUnited Center Fieldhouse, 1245 Dauer Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33146
SOURCE University of Miami