US Consumers Want Today's Companies to be Proactive in Customer Service
inContact Survey Demonstrates that Customers Are Receptive but Outdated Dialing Technology with an Initial Pause or Delay Results in Hang-ups
SALT LAKE CITY, Sept. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- inContact (NASDAQ: SAAS), the leading provider of cloud contact center software and contact center agent optimization tools, today announced the findings of their July 2013 customer service survey, that examined the preferences of consumers when it comes to incoming calls and other proactive communications from companies.
The study, conducted online by Harris Interactive, on behalf of inContact, among 2,034 U.S. adults aged 18 years or older, shows that consumers are open to being contacted proactively by companies. According to the findings, 87 percent of U.S. adults want to be contacted proactively by an organization or company.
Yet a major hindrance to proactive customer service is the initial pause or delay that often occurs in traditional legacy predictive dialers. The inContact survey uncovered that the pause is not only common, but it prevents customers from talking to companies. The most common initial reaction to a delay or pause, among those who answer calls from unfamiliar numbers, is to simply hang up (49%).
Customers would be more receptive if the pause could be eliminated. Over half (55%) of those who answer incoming calls from unfamiliar numbers say that if there was no delay or pause they would be more receptive to what the caller might have to say and/or more interested in hearing who's calling them from an unfamiliar number.
Additional Key Findings Include:
- Nearly one-in-five (17%) of those who answer incoming calls from unfamiliar numbers believe the delay/pause conveys that they are not important to the caller.
- The most popular reasons why U.S. adults would want to be contacted is about fraudulent activity on their account (65%), for setting appointments or reminders (53%) or with questions about an order they placed (51%).
- Nearly three-quarters (73%) of those who have had a pleasant surprise or positive experience with an incoming call from a business/service provider report they had a positive change in their perception of the organization calling them.
- 62% of those who have had a pleasant surprise or positive experience with an incoming call from a business/service provider have taken an action as a result of that positive experience.
"The survey shows that consumers are open to companies contacting them proactively, but they want them to do so in a way that meets their individual needs and preferences. Forward-thinking companies are taking the initiative to create pleasant, positive interactions that improve the way their customers perceive them," said Paul Jarman, CEO of inContact. "At inContact, we believe that a proactive customer service experience can be a powerful strategy for organizations today. We are continuing to add new features to our own platform to make sure that companies can evolve with the expectations of their customers."
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of inContact from July 23-25, 2013 among 2,034 adults ages 18 and older.
- Get the white paper Proactive Services Tips and Takeaways
- See consumer research on Personalized Service and Brand Loyalty
- Get a customized assessment of contact center operations
- Follow @inContact on Twitter
- Become a fan of inContact on Facebook
inContact (NASDAQ: SAAS) is the cloud contact center software leader, helping organizations around the globe create high quality customer experiences. inContact is 100% focused on the cloud and is the only provider to combine cloud software with an enterprise-class telecommunications network for a complete customer interaction solution. Winner of Frost & Sullivan 2012 North American Cloud Company of the Year in Cloud Contact Center Solutions, inContact has deployed over 1,300 cloud contact center instances. To learn more, visit www.inContact.com.
More by this Source
Growing Consumer Products Company Selects inContact to Drive Service Excellence
Mar 11, 2014, 09:00 ET
inContact CEO Paul Jarman to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences
Mar 10, 2014, 09:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.