Despite bigger appropriation and strong demand, fewer children enrolled for 2012-2013 school year
WASHINGTON, Oct. 23, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --The highly successful D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program (OSP) enrolled 1,584 children from low-income families for the 2012-2013 school year—fewer students than last year—in a reduction that comes despite a near $5 million increase in funding over the previous school year.
The D.C. Children and Youth Investment Trust Corporation (Trust), which administers the program, received nearly 1,500 new applications for the 2012-2013 school year, despite being told not to accept applications after March 31 of this year. In addition, the Trust was not given permission to hold scholarship lotteries for new applicants until July of this year.
The lower enrollment numbers are the result of a year-long effort by the U.S. Department of Education to limit participation in the OSP. In March, President Obama's FY 2013 budget proposal zeroed out funding for the program, contradicting the law he signed last year. House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) and Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Chairman Joe Lieberman (I-CT) then sent a letter to the president pressing him and the administration to reverse course and expedite full implementation of the program.
After several weeks of negotiations, Speaker Boehner and Senator Lieberman announced in June that an agreement had been reached with the Department that would fully implement the program. The Department's overall implementation guidance to the Trust, however, resulted in just 319 children being offered new scholarships—despite more than 1,500 applications—and prevented hundreds of additional children from enrolling, including eligible private school children from low-income families who were specifically excluded.
"It is simply tragic that fewer children are participating in the OSP this year given the availability of funds and the incredibly strong demand from low-income District families," said Kevin P. Chavous, senior advisor to the American Federation for Children and a former D.C. Councilmember. "This program provides children who are most in need with access to a quality education, and it's appalling that the U.S. Department of Education continues to stand in the way of that vital choice."
Following reauthorization of the OSP last year, the demand was so strong that enrollment went from just over 1,000 children to more than 1,600— a 60 percent increase for the 2010-2011 school year. Demand was equally strong heading into this school year.
Because of the limited number of new students participating, a credible federal evaluation of the program cannot be initiated this year. The previous evaluation of the program found that OSP students graduate at a rate of 91 percent—more than 20 percentage points higher than those interested in the program, but who did not receive a scholarship. The program also enjoys very high parental satisfaction, with 92 percent of parents reporting being very or somewhat happy with their child's academic progress in the program.
SOURCE American Federation for Children