WABAN, Mass., Oct. 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Temkin Group released a new research report "Net Promoter Score Benchmark Study, 2016" based on a study of 10,000 U.S. consumers.
Net Promoter Score (NPS) has become a popular customer experience metric. NPS measures the likelihood of consumers to recommend a company to their friends and family, using a scoring range from -100 to +100.
USAA's insurance business earned the highest NPS (68), followed by Cadillac dealers (63), USAA's banking business (62), Apple's computer business (60), and USAA's credit card business (60). Other firms to earn an NPS of more than 55 are Amazon.com, Trader Joe's, H-E-B, Audi, and credit unions.
At the other end of the spectrum, four companies have negative NPS: Comcast TV service, Time Warner Cable TV service, Cox Communications, and McDonalds. Other low scoring companies with NPS of 5 and below are RadioShack, Charter Communications, Comcast Internet service, Time Warner Cable Internet service, Motel 6, and Con Edison of NY.
"Net Promoter Scores can provide a strong indication of your relationship with customers," states Bruce Temkin, Managing Partner of Temkin Group. Temkin goes on to say, "Like any customer metric, NPS is only valuable when it's used to drive improvements."
Here are some additional findings from the research:
- Five industries toped the list with an average NPS of 40 or more: auto dealers, software, investments, computers & tablets, and appliances.
- The bottom scoring industries are TV service providers, Internet service providers, and health plans.
- USAA's insurance, banking, and credit card businesses earned NPS levels that are 30 or more points above their industry averages. Five other firms are 20 or more points above their peers: Amazon.com, credit unions, Chick-fil-A, Apple, and Trader Joe's.
- Five companies fell 25 or more points below their industry averages: RadioShack, Motel 6, eMachines, McDonalds, and Days Inn.
- US Airway's NPS increased by 31 points between 2054 and 2016, the largest increase of any company. Eight other companies improved by 25 or more points: Fifth Third, 21st Century, Fujitsu, DHL, MetLife, HSBC, Commonwealth Edison, PSE&G, and Hannaford.
- TriCare, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Baskin Robins, and Nordstrom had double-digit declines in NPS between 2015 and 2016.
The 20 industries included in this report are airlines, auto dealers, banks, computer makers, credit card issuers, fast food chains, grocery chains, health plans, hotel chains, insurance carriers, Internet service providers, investment firms, major appliance makers, parcel delivery services, rental car agencies, retailers, software firms, TV service providers, utilities, and wireless carriers.
The report "Net Promoter Score Benchmark Study, 2016" can be downloaded from the Customer Experience Matters blog, at ExperienceMatters.wordpress.com as well as from the Temkin Group website, www.TemkinGroup.com.
About Temkin Group: Temkin Group is a leading customer experience research and consulting firm. Many of the world's largest brands rely on its insights and advice to steer their transformational journeys. Temkin Group combines customer experience thought leadership with a deep understanding of the dynamics of organizations to help accelerate results. Rather than layering on cosmetic changes, Temkin Group helps companies embed practices within their culture by building four critical competencies: Purposeful Leadership, Employee Engagement, Compelling Brand Values, and Customer Connectedness. The firm's ongoing research identifies leading and emerging best practices across a wide range of activities for engaging the hearts and minds of customers, employees, and partners. For more information, contact Bruce Temkin at 617-916-2075 or send an email.
About Bruce Temkin: Bruce Temkin is widely recognized as a customer experience visionary and is Customer Experience Transformist and Managing Partner of Temkin Group. He is also the author of the very popular blog, Customer Experience Matters®. Prior to forming Temkin Group, he was a VP at Forrester Research for 12 years. Bruce is a highly demanded speaker and regularly quoted in the press. He is also the co-founder of the Customer Experience Professionals Association.
Net Promoter Score, Net Promoter, and NPS are registered trademarks of Bain & Company, Satmetrix Systems, and Fred Reichheld.
Customer Experience Matters is a registered trademark of Temkin Group.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/usaa-cadillac-and-apple-are-most-recommended-companies-according-to-new-temkin-group-research-300341805.html
SOURCE Temkin Group