Vail Resorts Introduces Epic Discovery, a Summer Mountain Adventure at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Epic Discovery at Breckenridge Ski Resort is the second comprehensive new summer activities plan proposal by Vail Resorts to U.S. Forest Service under new legislation.
- Epic Discovery to encourage "learn through play", promoting environmental education and forest stewardship with numerous activities across the mountain.
- Vail Resorts to work with The Nature Conservancy on environmental education experiences for guests and will contribute 1 percent of summer lift ticket and activity revenue toward forest restoration projects.
BROOMFIELD, Colo., March 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Vail Resorts, Inc. (NYSE: MTN) announced that the Company has submitted another proposal to the U.S. Forest Service for Epic Discovery, a comprehensive summer activities plan, this time at Breckenridge Ski Resort. Epic Discovery, a Summer Mountain Adventure, is Vail Resorts' summer activity effort, the first proposed initiative of its kind following last year's passage of the Ski Area Recreational Opportunities Enhancement Act. The Company launched the first round of Epic Discovery plans in July 2012 for Vail Mountain.
The plans for Breckenridge will encourage "learn through play" by featuring extensive environmental educational elements interspersed between numerous new fun activities located in already developed areas of the mountain on Peaks 8 and 7. Vail Resorts will work with The Nature Conservancy to bring scientific content to the eco-discovery experiences and will be contributing 1 percent of all summer lift ticket and activity revenue toward forest restoration projects.
Epic Discovery is designed to connect kids and families with our national forests in an active, fun and engaging way. This proposal includes a number of new activities at Breckenridge, including an additional 14 miles of beginner, intermediate and family oriented mountain biking trails across Peaks 7 & 8, adventure hiking zones, plus additional activities including zip lines and ropes courses, all with extensive environmental and interpretive programming.
"Epic Discovery offers guests the unique opportunity to try new outdoor activities, challenge themselves physically, discover an appreciation for nature and create lasting family memories," said Pat Campbell, senior vice president and COO at Breckenridge Ski Resort. "The specific proposal for Breckenridge will also expand our mountain biking and hiking offerings to guests of all ages – enhancing Breck as a biking destination."
"Epic Discovery will provide guests from across the country and around the world an experience of a lifetime in the summer. The program will make the national forests accessible and engaging to people of all ages and abilities and will help educate them on the unique ecosystem and wildlife on our mountains," said Blaise Carrig, president of Vail Resorts' Mountain Division. "By expanding Epic Discovery to Breckenridge, our Company has raised the bar even further as we teach our kids about the spectacular natural environment that serves as backdrops to our resorts."
Today's announcement also expands Vail Resorts' work with the leading conservation non-profit organization, The Nature Conservancy, to assist with the creation of environmental education programming and interpretation. The "1% for the Forest" program, created last summer with the Vail announcement, will now extend to Breckenridge operations once Epic Discovery is open to the public. Breckenridge will contribute 1 percent of all summer lift ticket and activity revenue to The Nature Conservancy for forest health restoration projects on national forest lands in the West.
"Our partnership with Vail Resorts, first with Vail Mountain and now with Breckenridge Resort, is both an exciting and incredible opportunity to educate youth and families about their public lands, its flora, fauna and heritage, by way of interpretive play," said Tim Sullivan, executive director of the Colorado chapter of The Nature Conservancy. "The 1% for the Forest initiative will increase our funding for restoration projects in the West and provide yet another tremendous opportunity to involve Vail's and Breckenridge's guests and communities in land conservation efforts."
If the U.S. Forest Service approves the proposal, Vail Resorts would begin construction on Epic Discovery activities in the summer of 2015. If approved, the resulting on-mountain, eco-conscious experience would generate new jobs related to both the construction of the new facilities and the long-term operation, and would help support a much healthier year-round economy for the local resort community. Epic Discovery would also create a new iconic summer destination for Colorado, attracting guests from around the world.
"I authored the bipartisan Ski Area Recreational Opportunities Enhancement Act to drive job creation and tourism in Colorado's mountain communities. I am thrilled this new law continues to benefit Colorado small businesses, resorts and towns, such as Breckenridge, which are eager to introduce Colorado's forests to more individuals, groups and families," said Senator Mark Udall, an avid outdoor enthusiast. "Colorado has the best public lands, open spaces and mountains in the world. I am glad my common-sense legislation will help our resorts continue to boost our mountain communities' economies throughout the year."
Epic Discovery activities and environmental interpretive programming will be designed to be compatible with the existing on-mountain infrastructure of lifts and trails, blending into the natural environment in an unobtrusive manner. Following are highlights of what guests will be able to experience, discover and learn across Breckenridge Mountain:
- Mountain Biking: Approximately 14 miles of family, beginner and intermediate mountain biking trails will be added to Breck's existing trail system across Peaks 7 & 8 along with a new biking headquarters at the base of Peak 7.
- Zip Line Thrill Ride: At 50 feet above ground, gliding at 45 mph, guest can ride on a zip line solo or race against family members and friends. Breck's thrill ride will feature four zip lines set up side by side.
- Lookout Tower/Platform: Welcome to the Horseshoe Bowl lookout tower, a panoramic viewing balcony nestled within the most awe-inspiring natural scenery in the world.
- Climbing Wall: At this world class climbing wall and boulder area, climbers will pit themselves against nature with climbs for both beginners and experts, from single to multi pitch routes.
- Challenge Course: You'll work with your family and friends to complete a multi-stage tour combining zip lines, ropes swings, bridge components and other features.
- Discovery Tours: Ultimate outdoor experiences, these guided canopy zip line tours will immerse guests in the forest on an array of zip-lines and aerial bridges with breathtaking vistas of town and the Ten Mile Range as you work your way down Peak 7 of Breckenridge Ski Resort. Experienced guides will help guests navigate the course, and teach about the local flora and fauna.
- Discovery Hiking Zones: Breck is working with The Nature Conservancy to integrate fun with learning through Interpretive Discovery Zones across the mountain and enrich every adventure experience for the entire family. Imagine learning about a moose's habitat, while walking the same trails the animals do.
- Adventure Parks: A playground to introduce young children to the wonders of the forest, the Kids' Adventure Zone at Breck will feature bungee trampolines, alpine slide, gem panning, a human maze and mountain bike park!
- Off Road Mountaintop Tours: A two-hour adventure to highlight Breck's legendary views in a vehicle just as iconic: an off-roading SUV.
Breckenridge Ski Resort has submitted a proposal to the U.S. Forest Service that includes the above activities and vision for Epic Discovery. Following acceptance of the proposal, the agency will begin its comprehensive environmental review. Epic Discovery at Breckenridge is the second Colorado installment of summer mountain adventure plans that Vail Resorts has for each of its seven world-class resorts. Plans for Beaver Creek, Keystone, Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood will be announced and submitted at later dates.
To learn more about Epic Discovery visit http://www.epicdiscovery.com.
About Breckenridge Ski Resort
With four huge peaks, 2,358 acres, five terrain parks, two halfpipes, eight bowls, the highest chairlift in North America, family-friendly terrain, and a world-class ski school, all situated above an authentic, hip mountain town with awe-inspiring views, there are good reasons why "Breck" is one of the most popular ski resorts in the Western Hemisphere. Renowned for the welcoming spirit and friendly character of their locals, with over 200 restaurants, bars, and shops, and numerous year-round activities & events, Breck embodies more than just a destination, inspiring a way of life. www.breckenridge.com.
About Vail Resorts
Vail Resorts, Inc., through its subsidiaries, is the leading mountain resort operator in the United States. The Company's subsidiaries operate the mountain resorts of Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone in Colorado; Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood in the Lake Tahoe area of California and Nevada; Afton Alps in Minnesota and Mt. Brighton in Michigan; and the Grand Teton Lodge Company in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The Company's subsidiary, RockResorts, a luxury resort hotel company, manages casually elegant properties. Vail Resorts Development Company is the real estate planning, development and construction subsidiary of Vail Resorts, Inc. Vail Resorts is a publicly held company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: MTN). The Vail Resorts company website is www.vailresorts.com and consumer website is www.snow.com.
More info and photos of Vail Resorts are also available at http://news.vailresorts.com. Please credit the photographer listed and Vail Resorts.
SOURCE Vail Resorts, Inc.
More by this Source
Ski the Best of Europe, Asia & the US, on the Epic Season Pass
Mar 17, 2014, 15:09 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.