EDINBURGH, Scotland, Feb. 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- According to Tesco Travel Money, the average cost of a week away in Europe for a family of four costs just over 2,000 pounds. If you're planning a winter holiday, the research shows that you'd be wise to look to Eastern European countries such as Bulgaria, Poland and Hungary for a bargain break.
It's important not to look solely at flight costs when booking a holiday as expenses once you are there -- from accommodation, to car hire and eating out -- can make a big difference. For instance, a week spent skiing in Bulgaria would cost a typical family of four 1,221 pounds compared to a whopping 2,375 pounds they would spend to stay and sightsee in Spain.
At the other end of the scale, Reykjavik is likely to burn the biggest hole in people's wallets with expenses for a week's holiday setting a family back a massive 3,383 pounds.
Meals out are also costly. A family can spend nearly 400 pounds over the course of the week, so you can save a lot of money by staying in self catering accommodation and cooking meals together.
Wherever you decide to go, make sure you have the travel insurance to cover your needs. Tesco Travel Insurance starts from just 4.50* pounds and if you are a family of four taking a two week European holiday, your cover will cost from just 33.50 pounds.
Notes to editors:
Analysis of prices in European holiday destinations carried out by Purple Market Research in May 2010 in Warsaw (Poland), Budapest (Hungry), Ljubljana (Slovenia), Dubrovnik (Croatia), Sofia (Bulgaria), Bodrum (Turkey), Limassol (Cyprus), Athens (Greece), Rome (Italy), Barcelona (Spain), Faro (Portugal), Nice (France), Brighton (UK), Reykjavik (Iceland).
*Single, three day European trip
Tesco Travel Insurance is provided by Ageas Insurance Ltd. Certain sections of cover are provided by other insurers.
- Tesco Bank is the UK's largest supermarket bank. Since our launch in 1997, we have grown to 6.5 million customer accounts across 28 financial products and services.
- Our principal activities are: general insurance - motor, home, pet and travel; credit cards and personal loans; personal savings; Tesco Compare and a network of cash machines (ATMs).
- We sell our products through multiple channels including in-store, by telephone and online.
- Tesco Bank is fully owned by Tesco plc.
- Tesco Bank is a trading name of Tesco Personal Finance plc. Registered in Scotland No. 173199. Registered Address: Interpoint Building, 22 Haymarket Yards, Edinburgh, EH12 5BH
SOURCE Tesco Bank