Vehicle Care Combats Skyrocketing Gas Prices
BETHESDA, Md., Oct. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- October is Fall Car Care Month, and the Car Care Council recommends the following ways to fight rising gas prices:
- Keep your car properly tuned to improve gas mileage by an average of 4 percent.
- Keep tires properly inflated and improve gas mileage by 3 percent.
- Replace dirty or clogged air filters on older vehicles to improve gas mileage by as much as 14 percent.
- Replace dirty spark plugs, which can reduce mileage by two miles per gallon.
- Change oil regularly and gain another mile per gallon.
- Check the gas cap. Damaged, loose or missing gas caps allow gas to vaporize into the air.
"Many motorists don't realize that fuel consumption is directly related to vehicle care and has a significant impact on how much you pay at the pump," said Rich White, executive director, Car Care Council. "Gas prices can climb quickly, but the good news is that you can fight back. By properly maintaining your vehicle, you can improve your vehicle's fuel economy and keep more money in your pocket."
In addition to vehicle maintenance, modifying driving habits, such as observing the speed limit and avoiding quick stops and starts, can also increase fuel efficiency. Consolidating trips, avoiding excessive idling and removing unnecessary items from the trunk are simple ways to reduce fuel consumption.
The Car Care Council is the source of information for the "Be Car Care Aware" consumer education campaign promoting the benefits of regular vehicle care, maintenance and repair to consumers. For a free copy of the council's Car Care Guide or for more information, visit www.carcare.org.
SOURCE Car Care Council
More by this Source
A Resolution You Should Keep: Be Car Care Aware
Dec 17, 2013, 10:56 ET
Car Care Council's Free Car Care Guide Is a Great Stocking Stuffer
Dec 03, 2013, 15:02 ET
Weather or Not, Winterize Your Vehicle Now
Nov 19, 2013, 11:48 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.