NEW YORK, Feb. 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon, in agreement with NBCUniversal, today announced a multiplatform content offering for NBCUniversal's coverage of the XXII Olympic Winter Games from Sochi, Russia, to begin Thursday, Feb. 6, and run through Sunday, Feb. 23.
Verizon's 5.3 million FiOS TV subscribers will have access to NBCUniversal's unprecedented 1,500-plus hours of Winter Olympic programming, including every Olympic competition, live and on-demand and across multiple platforms.
In addition to enjoying extensive coverage on the networks of NBCUniversal, including NBC, NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), MSNBC, CNBC and USA Network, all Verizon broadband Internet subscribers can stay connected to the Sochi Olympic Winter Games wherever they go via NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports Live Extra app, America's premier Olympic digital destinations. Like no other event to date, the Olympic Games have been, and continue to be, a watershed moment for "TV everywhere," helping to drive awareness and usage.
The following multiplatform offerings from NBCUniversal will allow Verizon customers to watch and be a part of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games through their televisions, PCs, and mobile and tablet apps.
NBCUniversal's Olympics Experience with Verizon Includes:
- NBCOlympics.com: NBC Sports Live Extra, the home of Olympic live stream content at NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra, is available now to verified customers who subscribe to a package that includes NBC, NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), MSNBC, CNBC and USA Network and who log in to the site. NBCOlympics.com will feature, for the first time, live streaming coverage of all Winter Games competition, plus event rewinds and extensive video highlights. Verizon's customers can easily verify their subscriptions and watch Olympic coverage live online at no additional charge. Those subscribers, who log in and verify their subscriptions by Feb. 6, the first day of competition at the Sochi Games, can enter the NBC Olympics Sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip for two to Rio de Janeiro in 2014, courtesy of NBCUniversal. Verizon customers should follow the verification process to access NBC Olympics programming via NBCOlympics.com:
- Go to NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra
- Click the "Verify Now" button
- Select your cable, satellite or telco provider (Verizon)
- Enter the username and password that corresponds with your My Verizon account. (Verizon customers without a My Verizon user name and password can visit this hyperlink to create one.)
- Upon verification of your subscription to an Olympics-eligible package, you will be signed in throughout the Games on that device.
- Mobile and Tablet Apps: NBCUniversal will offer two apps for mobile and tablet viewing. The NBC Sports Live Extra app will be available to verified Verizon customers and will offer the same live streaming and event replays available via NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra. The NBC Olympics Highlights and Results app will include short-form highlights, schedules, results, columns and more and will also link to the NBC Sports Live Extra app.
- On Demand: NBCUniversal is making Olympic highlights and full-event rewinds available via Verizon's FiOS video-on-demand service.
Pre-Games: Now, viewers can access more than 100 pre-Games clips in HD via set-top box and Verizon's website, including select highlights from the U.S. Olympic Team Trials.
In-Games: Each day during the Sochi Games, NBCUniversal will offer a digital figure skating show called "Olympic Ice." Also during the Games, NBCUniversal will offer more than 350 highlight clips and 150 full-length event replays available within 24 hours of an event's completion, all in HD, available both via NBCOlympics.com and set-top box.
THE OLYMPICS BEGIN FEB. 6, 2014
With more Winter Olympic events than ever before, competition for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games from Sochi, Russia, will begin one day prior to the Opening Ceremony. As a result, NBC will begin its primetime coverage of the 2014 Sochi Olympics on Thursday, February 6, one night before the broadcast network provides its traditional coverage of the Opening Ceremony on Friday Feb. 7. This marks the first time NBC will air Olympic primetime coverage before the Opening Ceremony. The primetime broadcast on Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014, is scheduled to include competition in snowboard slopestyle (men's and women's), in which two-time gold medalist Shaun White is expected to compete in the slopestyle's Olympic debut; team figure skating, which is also in the Olympics for the first time; and women's freestyle moguls.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with nearly 103 million retail connections nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries. A Dow 30 company with more than $120 billion in 2013 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of 176,800. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts and other information are available at Verizon's online News Center at newscenter.verizon.com. The news releases are available through an RSS feed. To subscribe, visit newscenter.verizon.com/corporate/feeds.