Verizon Invested Over $100 Million in Its Wireline Telecommunications Infrastructure in the Nation's Capital in 2013 Verizon's Investments in Broadband, IP Networks Fuel Innovation, Economic Growth
WASHINGTON, March 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Consumers, businesses and government agencies in the nation's capital continued to benefit from Verizon's 2013 investment of more than $100 million in its industry-leading fiber-optic and Internet Protocol-based networks.
"As customers' technology needs grow more sophisticated each day, Verizon – with its strong networks and assets in the District of Columbia – is uniquely positioned to meet those needs," said Christopher D. Childs, Potomac region president for consumer and mass business. "Whether it's voice, broadband or TV for the home or services to grow a business, Verizon is prepared to meet the unique needs of our customers. Our networks will help keep the District competitive nationally and globally – enabling the city to grow existing jobs and attract new ones," Childs added.
Consumers, Small Businesses Take Quantum Leap for Innovative Services
Verizon's major wireline infrastructure programs in 2013 included:
- Improving the customer experience. The company has improved phone service reliability for thousands of customers in the District of Columbia who had repeat repair calls on their Verizon landline phone service by moving their service from copper to the all-fiber network. Nationwide, Verizon now serves more landline customers on its all-fiber infrastructure than on its legacy copper network. Fiber is less susceptible than copper to moisture and water damage and offers a better overall service experience.
- Investing in superior networks. Verizon has placed nearly 607 miles in its advanced, all-fiber network in the District – about the distance from D.C. to Maine.
- Continued deployment of the company's award-winning, 100 percent fiber-optic FiOS TV and FiOS Internet services. At year's end, FiOS services were available to nearly 80,000 homes and businesses in the city.
- Enhancing the FiOS Bandwidth Effect, which enables consumers and small businesses to harness huge amounts of broadband.
- FiOS Quantum, with speeds up to 500 Mbps down and 100 Mbps up, is America's fastest Internet. Other Quantum speeds include 300/65 Mbps, 150/65 Mbps, 75/35 Mbps and 50/25 Mbps. All Quantum tiers offer upload speeds that rival or exceed most download speeds offered by competitors.
- The ultra-fast speed delivers technology that gives people the best way to stream videos, conduct video chats and use multiple Internet devices simultaneously, among other bandwidth-intensive applications.
- Multi-player gaming advantages, with tremendous speed versus competitors.
- Delivering FiOS TV anytime, anywhere on a variety of devices:
- The FiOS Mobile App allows customers to manage their Verizon account and their life – wherever they are – on a variety of Internet-connected devices. Best of all, they can watch up to 31 channels outside the home and 91 channels inside the home, depending upon their TV package.
- FiOS TV Online, offering 71 channels over a broadband-connected PC, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
- Advanced, interactive search and navigational experience.
- Multi-Room DVR.
- Advanced, interactive TV Apps.
- Industry-leading 70,000-plus FiOS On Demand video titles customers can rent or own, plus premium on-demand content packages with sports, movie and international programming.
- Comprehensive choice including month-to-month plans and multiyear bundles.
- In-Home Agent application for automated self-service.
- Advanced, FiOS Digital Voice home phone service.
Enterprise Business Solutions Tailored to Meet Client Needs
Verizon Enterprise Solutions oversees all of Verizon's solutions for large-business, wholesale and government customers in the District of Columbia and globally, including a portfolio of cloud and IT, enterprise mobility, security and advanced communications offerings. Its key client segments include healthcare, manufacturing and automotive, financial services and large government agencies. In 2013, Verizon:
- Acquired EdgeCast and the assets of upLynk to further the company's delivery of media and entertainment services. These acquisitions enable Verizon to enhance delivery of end-to-end video solutions for best-in-class TV Everywhere and superior experiences to customers such as studios, broadcasters, retailers and enterprises that seek high-performance digital experiences across all devices.
- Announced its next-generation public cloud platform, Verizon Cloud. Verizon Cloud offers large enterprises, mid-size companies and small development shops the agility and economic benefit of a generic public cloud along with the reliability and scale of an enterprise-level service with unprecedented control of performance and security. Verizon Cloud is currently in beta.
- Launched Converged Health Management, a remote patient-monitoring medical platform designed to help clinicians and patients manage patients' health in between doctor visits. Verizon's newest solution addresses the day-to-day communications gap that has historically existed between patients and clinicians.
- Introduced Managed Wireless ATM, a fully managed, wireless automated teller machine solution that banks can deploy to their remote ATMs, at events or for business continuity planning.
- Rolled out "In Drive" service in conjunction with insurance companies. In Drive, developed by Verizon Telematics, offers drivers an opportunity to save money on auto insurance, based on their driving habits.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with nearly 103 million retail connections nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries. A Dow 30 company with more than $120 billion in 2013 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of 176,800. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts and other information are available at Verizon's online News Center at newscenter.verizon.com. The news releases are available through an RSS feed. To subscribe, visit newscenter.verizon.com/corporate/feeds.