Verizon Wireless and RIM Launch a New Model of the Popular BlackBerry Curve 3G Smartphone Stylish 3G Addition to the Popular Curve Family Is Fast, Easy to Use, Feature Rich, and BlackBerry 6 Ready
IRVINE, Calif., Sept. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Wireless and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced a new 3G addition to the popular BlackBerry Curve family of smartphones. Running on the nation's largest and most reliable wireless voice and 3G data network, the new BlackBerry® Curve™ 3G smartphone (model 9330) will be available in business sales channels beginning Sept. 16. It will be available online at www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores in the coming weeks.
Colors: Charcoal or Fuchsia Red
Key features and specifications:
- Stylish new design (4.3" x 2.4" x .55" and 3.7 oz.) with face finished in a mirror-like trim; black, soft-touch sides; and textured back for a comfortable, secure feel in the hand
- 35-key full QWERTY backlit keyboard for fast, accurate typing and optical trackpad for easy and fluid navigation
- Dedicated media keys integrated along the top of the smartphone, so music lovers can easily access their tunes while on the go
- BlackBerry® Media Sync to easily sync music as well as photos with the smartphone*
- 512 MB Flash memory and microSD/SDHC slot that supports up to 32 GB memory cards for media storage
- Built-in GPS with support for geo-tagging and location-based applications, including VZ Navigator®, which provides audible turn-by-turn directions to millions of points of interest and the option to share the directions with others
- Built-in Wi-Fi® (802.11 b/g) for fast browsing; smooth music streaming; and the ability to talk on the phone while browsing the Web, instant message with BBM™ (BlackBerry® Messenger), and share location with friends on popular social networking sites
- Camera with video recording (requires a separately sold microSD card)
- Industry-leading BlackBerry e-mail and messaging capabilities
- Easy mobile access to Facebook®, Twitter™, MySpace™ and Flickr® as well as popular instant messaging services
- Support for BlackBerry App World™, featuring a broad and growing catalog of third-party mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones
- Premium phone features, including voice-activated dialing, speakerphone, and Bluetooth® (2.1)
BlackBerry® 6 ready:
- The BlackBerry Curve 3G smartphone ships with BlackBerry® 5 and is BlackBerry® 6 ready. BlackBerry 6 is a new operating system for BlackBerry® smartphones that retains the trusted features that distinguish the BlackBerry brand while delivering a fresh and engaging experience that is both powerful and easy to use. Upon certification, BlackBerry 6 is expected to be available for the BlackBerry Curve 3G in the coming months.
Pricing and availability:
- The BlackBerry Curve 3G smartphone (model 9330) will be available in business sales channels on Sept. 16, and it will be available online and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores in the coming weeks for $29.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement on a voice plan with an Email and Web feature or an Email and Web for BlackBerry plan. Data plans for the BlackBerry Curve 3G smartphone begin at $29.99 when added to any Nationwide voice plan. Customers will receive the mail-in rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
- For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com. Business customers can contact their Verizon Wireless Business Sales Representative at 1-800-VZW-4BIZ.
- To learn more about the new BlackBerry Curve 3G smartphone, visit www.blackberry.com/curve3G. For more information about BlackBerry 6, go to www.blackberry.com/6.
*Certain music files may not be supported, including files that contain digital rights management technologies. Photo syncing is currently only available for Windows-based PCs.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving more than 92 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 79,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, Nasdaq: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About Research In Motion (RIM)
Research In Motion is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of innovative wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Through the development of integrated hardware, software and services that support multiple wireless network standards, RIM provides platforms and solutions for seamless access to time-sensitive information including email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet and intranet-based applications. RIM technology also enables a broad array of third party developers and manufacturers to enhance their products and services with wireless connectivity to data. RIM's portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies are used by thousands of organizations around the world and include the BlackBerry® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheld™ product line, software development tools, radio-modems and software/hardware licensing agreements. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. RIM is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as "expect", "anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "should", "intend", "believe", and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by RIM in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other factors that RIM believes are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause RIM's actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the "Risk Factors" section of RIM's Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained at www.sedar.com or www.sec.gov). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on RIM's forward-looking statements. RIM has no intention and undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. RIM assumes no obligations or liability and makes no representation, warranty, endorsement or guarantee in relation to any aspect of any third party products or services.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless