Veterans Day Appreciation Event & Rally
Monday, November 12, 2012 | 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Union Station (210 S. Canal, Chicago)
CHICAGO, Nov. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Fifth Third Bank Chicago announces plans for its annual "Veterans Day of Appreciation" event on Monday, November 12, 2012. The bank will transform the Great Hall of Union Station into a patriotic celebration for those serving in the military. The event is free and open to the public. Activities include care package assembly, fundraising, meet and greets with area veterans organizations, ongoing live patriotic musical performances, and an afternoon rally.
- 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Volunteers will join local veterans in collecting last minute donations for educational scholarships that will benefit the Folds of Honor Foundation. Street teams will be out in Chicago and other suburban locations collecting donations. The bank will match all donations received 100 percent, up to $50,000.
- 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Volunteers will assemble 1,000 care packages that will be sent to Illinois troops now serving in Afghanistan. Several of the items contained in the care packages are from Chicago-based companies. The public is invited – and encouraged – to come to the event and visit Appreciation Stations that will be set up where they can write notes of support and appreciation that will go into the soldiers' care packages.
- 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.: Volunteers will staff and host an "Appreciation Rally," where local veterans groups will be celebrated and spotlighted. Special guest Rear Admiral David F. Steindl (Great Lakes Naval Base) will join civic and business leaders speaking at the event. Highlights of the rally include:
- The bank will present a check for $100,000 from its 5-week fundraising campaign to the Folds of Honor Foundation that will fund scholarships of Chicago-area families of wounded or lost soldiers. www.foldsofhonor.org
- The bank will announce that it is sponsoring a dog named Friday, recently rescued from a local animal shelter, that will be trained by nonprofit War Dogs Making It Home to become a certified service dog for a local veteran suffering from traumatic brain injury/PTSD. www.wardogsmakingithome.org
- Immediately following the rally, hundreds of volunteers will form a human chain to move the 1,000 care packages out of Union Station into US Postal Service (USPS) trucks. USPS employees, who are veterans themselves, are giving up the federal holiday to help the care packages begin their journey to Afghanistan.
"Every single person who lives in the United States benefits from the hard work, commitment and sacrifice of our nation's soldiers," said Robert A. Sullivan, President & CEO, Fifth Third Bank (Chicago). "We're excited to invite the community to join us in demonstrating our gratitude to those who serve in the military through our fundraising campaign and related events."
More information about the Veterans Appreciation campaign and event is available at www.53vets.com
About Fifth Third Bank
Fifth Third Bancorp is a diversified financial services company headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Company has $118 billion in assets and operates 15 affiliates with 1,320 full-service Banking Centers, including 104 Bank Mart® locations open seven days a week inside select grocery stores and 2,405 ATMs in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Florida, Tennessee, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Georgia and North Carolina. Fifth Third operates four main businesses: Commercial Banking, Branch Banking, Consumer Lending, and Investment Advisors. Fifth Third also has a 39% interest in Vantiv Holding, LLC, formerly Fifth Third Processing Solutions, LLC. Fifth Third is among the largest money managers in the Midwest and, as of June 30, 2012, had $291 billion in assets under care, of which it managed $25 billion for individuals, corporations and not-for-profit organizations. Investor information and press releases can be viewed at www.53.com. Fifth Third's common stock is traded on the NASDAQ® National Global Select Market under the symbol "FITB." Fifth Third Bank. Member FDIC.
Media Contact: Andrew Hayes, 312-823-4333
SOURCE Fifth Third Bank Chicago
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.