FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., May 25, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Vigilant Biosciences, Inc. ("Vigilant"), a leading innovator and developer of solutions that aid in the early detection and intervention of cancer, today announced the launch of a Scientific Advisory Board of distinguished physicians, and the expansion of Vigilant Biosciences' senior team with the appointment of Michael Donovan, PhD, MD as Chief Clinical Officer.
The Scientific Advisory Board will work closely with the Vigilant Biosciences Board and executive team to advise the Company on research and development in support of its current products, as well as other products in the Company's pipeline.
The inaugural members of Vigilant Biosciences' Scientific Advisory Board include:
- Christine H. Chung, MD – Senior Member and Chair of the Department of Head and Neck-Endocrine Oncology at the Moffitt Cancer Center and Professor in the Department of Oncologic Sciences at the College of Medicine University of South Florida
- Joel B. Epstein, DMD, MSD, FRCD(C), FDS RCS(E) – Professor in the Department of Surgery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, a collaborative member of the Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute in Los Angeles, and a consulting staff member in the Division of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery at the City of Hope National Medical Center in Monrovia, California
- W. Jarrard Goodwin, Jr., MD, FACS – Sylvester Professor, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and Chief Medical Officer Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Athena Papas, DMD., PhD, FACD – Erling Johansen Professor of Dental Research and the Head of the Division of Oral Medicine at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in Boston, Massachusetts
- John B. Sunwoo, MD – Associate Professor with tenure in the Department of Otolaryngology for Head and Neck Surgery at Stanford University and Director of Head and Neck Cancer Research in the Department of Otolaryngology
Additional background on each member can be found at www.vigilantbiosciences.com.
"The Scientific Advisory Board members are all distinguished leaders in the fields of head and neck surgery, oncology, and oral medicine and who share Vigilant Biosciences' vision of creating a world where cancer doesn't stand a fighting chance," said Matthew H.J. Kim, Founder, Chairman and CEO of Vigilant Biosciences, Inc. "We are excited to launch our advisory board with these thought leaders as our founding members and look forward to their contributions to our future success."
Vigilant Biosciences also announced the expansion of its executive management team with the appointment of Michael Donovan, PhD, MD as Chief Clinical Officer.
Dr. Donovan is board-certified in anatomic and clinical pathology and pediatric pathology with extensive experience in designing and implementing clinical studies. He has spearheaded the utilization of multiplex tissue and fluid-based assays and coupled mathematical applications to produce clinically relevant diagnostic/predictive/prognostic outcome models for a variety of tumor types and disease states. Dr. Donovan also serves as a Professor of Experimental Pathology and Director of the Biorepository and Pathology core at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai, New York City, New York.
In addition to an academic career at Harvard Medical School and Boston Children's Hospital, Dr. Donovan has over 20 years' experience in the biotechnology industry, serving in various senior management roles at Millennium Pharmaceuticals and Incyte Pharmaceuticals. He most recently served as Chief Medical Officer of MetaStat, Inc. and Chief Medical Officer of Exosome Diagnostics, Inc.
"We are thrilled to welcome Dr. Donovan, an esteemed clinical professional, to our leadership team," said Kim. "His extensive clinical and professional background and commercialization experience will bring tremendous value to Vigilant Biosciences as we continue to advance our oral cancer product line, as well as other products in our pipeline."
Dr. Donovan graduated from Rutgers University with a BS in zoology, a MS in endocrinology and a PhD in cell and developmental biology. He received his MD from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.
About Vigilant Biosciences, Inc.
Vigilant Biosciences is a leading innovator and developer of solutions that aid clinicians in the early detection and intervention of cancer. Vigilant's OncAlertTM Oral Cancer product line includes point-of-care and lab-based products that are simple, accurate and cost-effective, and empower healthcare practitioners to improve lives through earlier intervention. The OncAlert™ Oral Cancer LAB Test and the OncAlert™ Oral Cancer RAPID Test are CE Marked. The OncAlertTM Oral Cancer product line is not yet available for sale in the U.S. For more information, visit www.vigilantbiosciences.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/vigilant-biosciences-inc-names-scientific-advisory-board-and-expands-leadership-team-appoints-dr-michael-donovan-as-chief-clinical-officer-300274631.html
SOURCE Vigilant Biosciences, Inc.