LOS ANGELES, June 9, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the newly christened Viking Sea now part of its growing ocean fleet, Viking Ocean Cruises® (www.vikingoceancruises.com) today announced the addition of 10 new itineraries to its offerings for 2017 and 2018 sailings. Adding more than 30 ports of call to Viking's portfolio, the new itineraries will explore destinations throughout Europe, the Americas and the Caribbean, including Cuba.
"As we continue to grow our fleet, we have more opportunities to offer guests new and different options for experiencing the Viking way of destination-focused cruising, an approach that is completely unique in the industry," said Torstein Hagen, Chairman of Viking Cruises. "Our guests are experienced travelers who are curious about the great art, history and cultures of the world, which is why we design our ships and itineraries to help immerse them in the destinations they visit."
New 2017-2018 Itineraries
Viking's new ocean itineraries will bring guests to more iconic destinations around the world, providing rich cultural experiences with each port of call. With sailings from Bergen, London, New York, Puerto Rico, Venice and more, guests can choose itineraries ranging from eight-day to 22-day multi-country sailings. Full details on the new 2017 – 2018 offerings can be found on Viking's website here; new ocean itineraries include:
- Trade Routes of the Middle Ages – (From Bergen to Barcelona; Sailing on Viking Star, September 2017; May 2018) – During this 15-day itinerary, guests will follow the trade routes of the Middle Ages. Setting sail from Bergen, Norway, guests will explore a total of seven different countries and 10 ports with storied naval histories including Amsterdam, Paris, and two ports each in England, Portugal and Spain. Inclusive pricing for veranda staterooms start at $3,999 per person.
- Venice, the Adriatic and Greece – (From Venice to Athens; Sailing on Viking Sun and Viking Spirit, October 2017; July – August 2018) – Guests will walk the cobbled streets of four countries and seven cities along the Adriatic Sea coast, as they cruise from Venice, Italy to Athens, Greece. The eight-day itinerary, starts with two days in Venice, where guests can stroll the alleyways and learn about the city's glassmaking tradition before calling on Croatia, Montenegro and the many ancient sites of Greece to follow. Inclusive pricing for veranda staterooms start at $2,499 per person.
- South America and the Caribbean – (From San Juan to San Juan; Sailing on Viking Sea and Viking Sky, October – December 2017; January – March 2018) – Experience the Caribbean's most southerly ports during this 11-day itinerary, taking in the rich cultures and bright colors of six countries and seven ports. As guests cruise the Caribbean, they'll take in the lively ports of San Juan, Puerto Rico and historic Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, while also visiting the turquoise blue waters of Aruba and Curacao. This itinerary will also call on ports in South America including Cartagena and Santa Maria, Columbia and Venezuela's capital, Caracas. Inclusive pricing for veranda staterooms start at $3,199 per person.
- New York, Bermuda and the Western Indies – (From New York to San Juan; Sailing on Viking Sea and Viking Sky, October 2017; September 2018) – Guests will set sail from New York and continue down to the Caribbean during this 15-day cruise, which visits a total of nine countries and ports. Starting in "The City That Never Sleeps," guests will soon be exploring the vibrant tropical destinations of Bermuda, Guadeloupe, St. Kitt's, St. Martin, St. Thomas and more. Adding to the scenic views, guests can explore these port of call's many UNESCO World Heritage Sites along the way. Inclusive pricing for veranda staterooms start at $3,599 per person.
- Iconic Cities of the Western Mediterranean – (From Barcelona to Rome; Sailing on Viking Sun and Viking Spirit, November – December 2017; January – February, April, July and September 2018) – The French Riviera and Italy's renaissance treasures take center stage as guests embark on this eight-day Mediterranean itinerary. Guests will explore iconic ports including Barcelona, the resort town of St. Tropez, the glamour of Monte Carlo and cities throughout the rolling hills of Tuscany, before saying farewell in Rome. Inclusive pricing for veranda staterooms start at $1,999 per person.
- Central American Shores and Cuba – (From Miami to Miami; Sailing on Viking Sun, December 2017) – Guests will experience the diversity of the Western Caribbean during this eight-day itinerary through four countries and five ports. Spending two days in Havana, guests will stroll the colonial streets and engage in authentic Cuban experiences. Followed by ports of call in Cozumel, Mexico and Belize City, Belize for crystal-clear snorkeling opportunities or mysterious Mayan ruins. Finally, take in all the offerings of carefree Key West with its historical US landmarks before returning to Miami. Inclusive pricing for veranda staterooms start at $2,499 per person.
- From the Caribbean to the Amazon – (From San Juan to San Juan; Sailing on Viking Sea, December 2017) – A truly unique itinerary, guests on this 22-day cruise experience a rich variety of ports throughout the Caribbean and South America, including sailing into the mouth of the Amazon River in Brazil. From the jungle along the Amazon River, guests will call on ports where they will enjoy the blue waters and Caribbean island culture including Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and more. Inclusive pricing for veranda staterooms start at $5,999 per person.
- Southern Mediterranean Discovery – (From Rome to Barcelona; Sailing on Viking Star, December 2017; January – March 2018) – An eight-day cultural sojourn throughout the southern Mediterranean, guests will enjoy an enriching experience as they visit timeless Rome, sample local produce in Sicily or marvel at the medieval structures in Sardinia. Guests will also get a taste of modern-day Tunis and the Casbah of Algiers, before ending their cruise in the vibrant cities of Valencia and Barcelona, Spain. Inclusive pricing for veranda staterooms start at $1,999 per person.
- British Isles Explorer – (From Bergen to London; Sailing on Viking Sun, May and August 2018) – Exploring the British Isles from north to south, guests will be immersed in the rich cultures and cosmopolitan treasures during this 15-day cruise as they visit ports including: remote Viking outposts of Shetland and Orkney Islands, the legendary Scottish Highlands, uniquely beautiful Wales, and the vibrant cities of Dublin, London, Bergen and more. Inclusive pricing for veranda staterooms start at $5,999 per person.
- Italian Sojourn – (From Rome to Venice; Sailing on Viking Sun and Viking Spirit, April and July-August 2018) – Stopping at a total of seven ports between Italy and Croatia, guests will take an Italian journey to some of the most culturally significant cities. Starting in the Eternal City of Rome and continuing onto Naples, where guests will enjoy its world famous culinary delights, Sicily to take in views of Mt. Etna and the Mediterranean, and discover UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Bari, Italy and Sibenik, Croatia. This eight-day itinerary culminates in the picturesque Venice port. Inclusive pricing for veranda staterooms start at $2,599 per person.
Also recently announced, Viking's fourth ship, Viking Sun, will set sail on its maiden voyage in December 2017 for the company's first-ever world cruise, spanning 141-days and visiting five continents, 35 countries and 66 ports. Sailing from Miami to London, this epic Viking journey will explore the world's legendary cities, ports and will allow guests to immerse themselves in the rich cultures around the world.
Viking's ocean ships have a gross tonnage of 47,800 tons, boast 465 cabins and accommodate 930 passengers. Viking will welcome Viking Sky and Viking Sun, the company's third and fourth ship, in early and late 2017, respectively. Viking Spirit will be delivered in 2018; the yet-to-be-named sixth ship will be delivered in 2020. Classified by Cruise Critic as "small ships," Viking's ocean fleet features understated elegance and modern Scandinavian design.
The Viking Difference
Designed for discerning travelers, Viking offers guests "the thinking person's cruise" as an alternative to mainstream cruises. The Viking difference is providing guests with extraordinarily well-designed cruises that bring them closer to the cultures of the world. Ships are small allowing privileged access to smaller ports and getting guests closer to their destination, with more time in port, more overnights and fewer days at sea. Onboard, guests find serene Scandinavian spaces, where every room is beautiful and functional, quiet and filled with light. All-veranda ships mean that guests experience every day with a new, expansive vista. With the most al fresco dining at sea, featuring regional cuisines and always-available American classics, Viking's guests can truly dine in their destination. A focus on cultural enrichment brings immersive experiences onshore and onboard. And only The Viking Way brings guests itineraries that feature Local Life, Working World and Privileged Access experiences.
In addition, Viking Inclusive Cruising provides a small ship experience at a big ship value—with every cruise fare including a veranda stateroom, shore excursions in each port of call, all onboard meals, and all port charges and government taxes. Guests also enjoy many complimentary amenities as part of their fare, including: beer and wine with lunch and dinner service; premium dining reservations; Wi-Fi; self-service laundry; access to the Thermal Suite in the LivNordic Spa; and 24-hour room service—a value of more than $1,200 per person for an average cruise.
Prices for the new itineraries start at $1,999 per person. From now through June 30, 2016, Viking is offering U.S. residents an Early Booking Discount on 2017 and 2018 departures: 2-for-1 cruise fares, plus take up to $1,000 off air per person. Contact a travel agent or call Viking toll free at 1-855-8-VIKING (1-855-884-5464).
For more information, images and b-roll for Viking Ocean Cruises, contact email@example.com.
About Viking Cruises
Viking Cruises offers destination-centric river and ocean cruising designed for experienced travelers with an interest in geography, culture and history. Featuring onboard cultural enrichment and included shore excursions, Viking's journeys are competitively priced for genuine value. As the world's leading river cruise line, since its 1997 inception the company has grown to a fleet of 59 river vessels (in 2016) offering scenic cruising along the rivers of Europe, Russia, Egypt, China and Southeast Asia. Named Cruise Critic's "Best New Ocean Ship" of 2015, the sophisticated state-of-the-art Viking Star hosts 930 guests on itineraries in Scandinavia and the Baltic; the Western and Eastern Mediterranean; and the Caribbean and North America. The company's second ocean ship, Viking Sea, launched in April 2016; a third ship, Viking Sky, is under construction for delivery in early 2017; and three additional sister ships are on order. In 2015 Viking was rated the highest of all cruise lines in Travel + Leisure's "World's Best" Awards after appearing on – and topping – the river cruise rankings multiple times. In Travel + Leisure's 2016 "World's Best" Awards Viking was named the #1 Ocean Cruise Line. Viking has also been honored multiple times in Condé Nast Traveler's "Gold List" as well as recognized by the editors of Cruise Critic as "Best River Cruise Line" and "Best River Itineraries," with the entire Viking Longships® fleet being named "Best New River Ships" in the website's Editors' Picks Awards. The travel trade has ranked Viking as the "Best River Cruise Line" by Travel Weekly, Recommend and Travel Agent magazines, "Best Cruise Line for Luxury River Cruises" at the Luxury Travel Advisor Awards of Excellence and as "Best Overall Cruise Line for River Cruising," "Best New River Cruise Ship" and for the seventh consecutive year, "Best River Cruise Line for Travel Agent Support" in the 2015 TravelAge West's WAVE Awards. For additional information, contact Viking Cruises at 1-855-8-VIKING (1-855-884-5464) or visit www.vikingcruises.com. To join the Viking Cruises community online, visit www.facebook.com/vikingcruises, www.facebook.com/vikingoceancruises and www.facebook.com/vikingrivercruises.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/viking-announces-10-new-ocean-cruise-itineraries-starting-in-2017-300282208.html
SOURCE Viking Cruises