Viking Cruises Launches New Story-Driven TV Campaign For Fourth Season Of 'Downton Abbey' Seven New Episodic Spots Showcase "The World of Viking"
LOS ANGELES, Feb. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Viking Cruises (www.vikingcruises.com) today announced details behind its new television ad campaign, which debuted on PBS for the Season Four premiere of the Emmy® Award-winning series Downton Abbey. A national corporate sponsor of PBS' celebrated MASTERPIECE series since 2011, Viking's new campaign reflects a slightly different approach to telling the brand story through TV by focusing on specific travel experiences.
"Our travelers are explorers – of new destinations, cultures and ideas – just like many supporters and viewers of PBS MASTERPIECE," said Richard Marnell, Senior Vice President of Marketing for Viking Cruises. "We are proud to share the stories of Viking alongside the finest programming on television."
Named "The World of Viking," the campaign includes seven 30-second spots, with each one telling the story of an attribute of Viking's destination-focused cruises – from art and culture to food and Viking's new Longships®. Every week during the new season of Downton Abbey, PBS viewers will be treated to a new Viking "episode." All of the spots can now be viewed in the VIDEOS section of Viking's website; descriptions include:
- Episode One: "Discovery" – an up-tempo musical montage that reacquaints viewers with the scenic world in which Viking travels.
- Episode Two: "Masterpieces" – showcases some of the locations that inspired the world's best known works of art and how Viking passengers have an opportunity to walk "through" a masterpiece.
- Episode Three: "Great Performances" – brings to life a selection of the artistic performances Viking guests can experience while onboard and on shore.
- Episode Four: "Privileged Access" – illustrates how Viking can open the doors to the world's greatest destinations to provide guests with experiences only available to a select few.
- Episode Five: "Culinary Journey" – focuses on the intimate, authentic ways travelers can experience a destination through its food.
- Episode Six: "Through New Eyes" – conveys the emotive, enriching experiences – the magic moments – passengers can have with Viking.
- Episode Seven: "Longships" – offers an exclusive look at Viking's new Longships as sleek vessels designed specifically to enhance destinations along Europe's rivers.
- Episode Eight – "Discovery Finale" – as a bookend to the campaign, a reprisal of "Discovery" reminds viewers of the scenic destinations Viking's passengers are able to visit.
In addition to its sponsorship of PBS' MASTERPIECE, Viking offers fans of Downton Abbey a real-life opportunity to go behind closed doors at Highclere Castle, the setting of the hit series. Available as a pre- or post- extension on the popular Cities of Light or Paris & the Heart of Normandy cruise itineraries, Viking's Oxford & Highclere Castle Explore More® package is a three-night stay in the rolling hills of England's countryside. Guests enjoy an exclusive insider's look at Highclere Castle, including a special champagne welcome for Viking guests. The tour is co-created with the owners of the magnificent property, the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon, who often make the special effort to meet the Viking guests. The company has also produced a series of in-depth original videos, hosted by Viking Vice President Karine Hagen, which explores the castle and the surrounding area. To view the videos, or to find out more about the Oxford & Highclere extension, visit www.vrc.com/highclere.
Viking is in the midst of massive expansion to meet traveler demand for destination-focused cruises. The company is preparing to launch 14 new Viking Longships in 2014, and its first ocean vessel, the 930-passenger Viking Star is currently under construction and will set sail in early 2015.
For more information, images and b-roll, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For booking details, contact Viking Cruises toll-free at 1-855-8-VIKING (1-855-884-5464).
About Viking Cruises
Viking Cruises offers destination-centric river and ocean cruising designed for experienced travelers with an interest in geography, culture and history. Featuring onboard cultural enrichment and included shore excursions, Viking's journeys are competitively priced for genuine value. Debuting its maiden season of ocean cruising in 2015, the sophisticated state-of-the-art Viking Star will host 930 guests on itineraries in Scandinavia and the Baltic; and the Western and Eastern Mediterranean. As the world's leading river cruise line, since its 1997 inception the company has grown to a fleet of 35 river vessels (in 2013) offering scenic cruising along the rivers of Europe, Russia, Ukraine, China, and Southeast Asia. Viking has been honored multiple times in Travel + Leisure's "World's Best" Awards and Conde Nast Traveler's "Gold List" as well as recognized by the editors of Cruise Critic as "Best River Cruise Line," with the entire Viking Longships fleet being named "Best New River Ships of 2012" in the website's Editors' Picks Awards. The travel trade has ranked Viking as the "Best River Cruise Line" by Travel Weekly, Recommend and Travel Agent magazines, "Best Cruise Line for Luxury River Cruises" at the Luxury Travel Advisor Awards of Excellence and as "Best Overall Cruise Line for River Cruising" and "Best River Cruise Line for Travel Agent Support" in TravelAge West's WAVE Awards. For additional information, contact Viking Cruises at 1‑855‑8-VIKING (1‑855‑884‑5464) or visit www.vikingcruises.com. To join the Viking Cruises communities online, visit www.facebook.com/vikingcruises, www.facebook.com/vikingoceans and www.facebook.com/vikingrivercruises.
SOURCE Viking Cruises