Virtuoso® Reveals Where The Affluent Want To Venture Next
Virtuoso's Annual "Travel Dreams" Survey Shows the Top Picks of the World's Savviest Travelers
NEW YORK, June 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Virtuoso®, the luxury travel agency network renowned for creating exceptional experiences, has revealed findings from its seventh annual "Travel Dreams" survey, a poll launched earlier this year through the network's award-winning magazine, VIRTUOSO LIFE®. The forward-thinking survey invites readers to identify their travel personality by selecting their ideal destinations, vacation types, excursions, and ultimate trips of a lifetime. This year's responses came from nearly 8,000 of the magazine's readers – sophisticated travelers who rely on the expertise of Virtuoso travel advisors for advice, advocacy and access. The responses act as a 'wish list' for travelers and provide a roadmap for where and how the affluent plan to go next.
The survey revealed perennial favorites such as Australia, named the top dream destination for the third consecutive year, proving upscale travelers are willing to go the distance to fulfill their travel wishes. Europe, particularly Paris and Rome, were among the most coveted destinations, topping the lists for dream destinations, city getaways, and culinary trips. And whether a Mediterranean sailing adventure for two or a round-the-world excursion, cruising continues to rank high as experiences attracting the affluent. A full list of results appears at the end of this release.
New this year: the survey identified five distinct travel personalities based on respondents' travel styles, whether they prefer relaxing on the beach or blasting off into suborbital space.
The Go-Getter (23% of respondents)
- The Go-Getter is active, adventurous, and wants to see and do it all on their vacations
- Trips of a Lifetime: Taking a world cruise, photographing the "big five" on an African safari, calling on all seven continents
- Dream Destinations: Australia, Italy, New Zealand
- Virtuoso recommends: Go-Getters can book the nine-day Swain Tour's family-friendly South African Safari to snap the "big five," explore Cape Town, and relax in a luxury resort complex. Multiple departures through October 31; doubles from $4,270.
The Connoisseur (23%)
- The Connoisseur likes the best of the best and will indulge in food, wine, art, and architecture while traveling
- Trips of a Lifetime: Taking a world cruise, renting a European villa, dining at Paris' starred restaurants
- Dream Destinations: Italy, Australia, New Zealand
- Virtuoso recommends: Connoisseurs can sample local wines and four-course dinners on a six-night cruise through France's Cote d'Or aboard French Country Waterways' Adrienne.
- Multiple departures through October 27; from $5,295.
The Classic Traveler (20%)
- The Classic Travelers are loyal to the places they love and will return multiple times to their favorite destinations
- Trips of a Lifetime: Taking a world cruise, touring Italy's Amalfi Coast, riding the Orient-Express
- Dream Destinations: Italy, Australia, Ireland
- Virtuoso recommends: Classic Travelers can explore the Swedish, Danish, and Russian coasts on a 10-day Baltic cruise for two on board Crystal Cruises' Crystal Serenity, which was the Grand Prize for this year's "Travel Dreams" survey. Deluxe Staterooms start at $4,850.
The Relaxationist (17%)
- The Relaxationist travels to get away from it all – to relax, restore, and rejuvenate
- Trips of a Lifetime: Renting a private island in the Caribbean, taking a world cruise, sailing the Mediterranean on a private yacht.
- Dream Destinations: Italy, Australia, the Caribbean
- Virtuoso recommends: Relaxationists can rent the Casa Ventanas overwater bungalow on the private island of Cayo Espanto in Belize for a relaxing getaway. Doubles from $1,595, including meals, all beverages except wine, a $100 spa credit, and a bottle of Champagne.
The Trendsetter (17%)
- The Trendsetter is all about what's new and next, and is an early adopter of emerging destinations
- Trips of a Lifetime: Taking a world cruise, going on safari, calling on all seven continents
- Dream Destinations: Australia, South Africa, Italy
- Virtuoso recommends: Trendsetters can book a seat on the trip of a lifetime – Virgin Galactic – the world's first commercial spaceliner. Flights from $250,000.
Whether setting sail on a world cruise, enjoying a private island with family and friends, or calling on all seven continents, travelers of all types are interested in exploring every corner of the world. Survey results reveal the following:
Top Trips of a Lifetime
- Taking a world cruise
- Renting a European villa
- Photographing the "big five" on African Safari
- Renting a private island in the Caribbean
- Calling on all seven continents
- Galapagos Islands expedition
- Staying in Europe's top hotel suites
- Antarctic cruise
- Cruising Alaska's Inside Passage
- Chartering a private jet
Top 10 Dream Destinations
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- The Caribbean
- French Polynesia
- Greek Islands
- Hawaiian Islands
- The Caribbean
- Galapagos Islands
Where to Make Dinner Reservations
- New York City
- New Orleans
Cities That Excite
Best Trips For Two
- Mediterranean cruise
- Paris in April
- Caribbean resort stay
- Roman holiday
- California wine country
Where to Set Sail
- European river/canal
- The Mediterranean
- Australia/New Zealand
- World cruise
Favorite Family Vacations
- African safari
- Alaskan cruise
- Ireland's castles and countryside
- Galapagos Islands
- U.S. national parks
Participants were eligible to win several prizes that could make their travel dreams a reality. One lucky traveler will enjoy the Grand Prize: a 10-day cruise for two in a stateroom verandah cabin aboard Crystal Serenity, sailing from Copenhagen, Denmark to Stockholm, Sweden. Five additional winners received $1,000.
The "Travel Dreams" survey, conducted between February 1 and March 31, 2013, yielded 7,908 responses. Please visit www.virtuoso.com for more information or to view the current issue of Virtuoso Life magazine, go to http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/virtuosolife/20130708/. To be connected with a Virtuoso travel advisor to reserve any of the above packages, please contact Virtuoso at 855-570-3830.
Virtuoso® is the industry's leading luxury travel network. This by-invitation-only organization comprises over 340 agencies with more than 7,200 elite travel specialists in 20 countries in North and South America, the Caribbean, Australia, and New Zealand, as well as over 1,700 of the world's best travel providers and premier destinations. The network's member agencies generate over $9.6 billion annually in travel sales, making the group the most powerful in the luxury travel segment. Their relationships with the finest travel companies provide the network's affluent clientele with exclusive amenities, rare experiences, and privileged access. Visit www.virtuoso.com for information or go to www.youtube.com/user/VirtuosoTraveler to view Virtuoso's latest videos.
About VIRTUOSO LIFE:
An award-winning upscale travel and lifestyle magazine, VIRTUOSO LIFE is the face of Virtuoso. Distributed to the top clients of Virtuoso-affiliated travel advisors, it reinforces their relationship through cutting-edge personalization and one-on-one messaging. VIRTUOSO LIFE artfully depicts highly customized luxury travel experiences enhanced by Virtuoso-exclusive products, access, and amenities. For more information, visit www.virtuosolife.com.
Misty Ewing, CTA
Virtuoso – Director, Public Relations
Charles G. Curkin
Senior Account Executive
Alice Marshall Public Relations
Phone: 212. 861.4031
Alice Marshall Public Relations
More by this Source
Virtuoso® Welcomes L'Apogee Courchevel Into Its Prestigious Preview Program
Oct 24, 2013, 15:28 ET
Virtuoso® Introduces Journey of Discovery into Midtown with Rosewood London
Sep 25, 2013, 15:07 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.