Vivante Shipping World's Smallest and Lowest Power OpenGL® ES 3.0 IP Core GC880 GPU Shipping in Multiple Customer Silicon Products Packs Industry's Smallest OpenGL ES 3.0 Core with Leading Performance and Lowest Power per mm2
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Dec. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Vivante Corporation, a world-wide leader in graphics and compute technologies, today announced another major milestone in its leading multi-core GPU IP family: The world's tiniest GPU core designed* to support the Khronos™ Group's OpenGL® ES 3.0 API based on the GC880 IP leveraging the same ScalarMorphic™ technology of Vivante's industry leading multi-core ultra-threaded GPU cores. This core is in mass production powering multiple customer silicon products used in mobile, automotive, IPTV, and other embedded and Internet enabled devices.
GC880 brings OpenGL ES 3.0 to silicon cost sensitive and power-constrained designs in a compact 3.5mm2 final silicon footprint, including all recommended cache memories, using TSMC's 40nm LP process. Deep inside the GC880 and all other GC (Graphics and Compute) cores is the latest smart grid power reduction technology and optimized multi-functional unified shader pipelines that support the latest 3D and compute APIs. Smart grid brings the most aggressive fine grained power management that maximizes battery life for all day, on the go use. ScalarMorphic unified shaders are designed as the basic building blocks optimized for multi-core, multi-GPU designs that scale from dual/quad to eight GPU units.
"Using OpenGL ES 3.0 allows more of the user interface to visually react to input in ways which were previously too expensive in OpenGL ES 2.0 hardware. These new capabilities translate into a more engaging experience for application developers who are building NUI applications. We look forward to enabling Vivante's full range of OpenGL ES 3.0 solutions on our latest NUI platforms," said Stuart Russell CTO of YOUilabs.
"OEMs and the application ecosystem are quickly driving OpenGL ES 3.0 into the mainstream to take advantage of new features like instanced rendering, dynamic vertices/textures for sub-frame objects, high precision formats for quality, multiple render targets, and OpenCL interoperability. Our GPU design encompasses requirements from our software and platform ecosystem to support leading applications across all market segments from silicon limited configurations to immersive 3D gaming and vision processing," said Wei-Jin Dai, CEO of Vivante Corporation.
About Vivante GC (Graphics and Compute) Cores
Vivante offers a comprehensive set of GPU IP solutions for cutting-edge applications in the mobile, consumer, automotive, embedded, real time/mission critical, and home entertainment markets. With support of our customers and partners, we have rapidly grown our IP licensing business over the last four years to become a worldwide leader in GPU shipments. You can find products powered by Vivante in various form factors in your hand, home, office, or car, using the latest versions of Android, Linux, Green Hills, QNX, and Microsoft Windows.
Our product portfolio includes mass market, performance leading technologies in 3D, 2D/Composition Processors, GPGPU, and vector graphics. Vivante cores offer robust support in a unified driver architecture for industry-standard application programming interfaces like OpenGL® ES 3.0/2.0, desktop OpenGL®, OpenCL®, OpenVG®, Microsoft® DirectX® 11, DirectFB, BLTsville™, XWindows, Google Renderscript™ Compute, and other standard APIs.
New features built into our latest GPU solutions include:
- Smallest Licensable OpenGL ES 3.0 GPU Core: 3.5 mm2 total silicon footprint in TSMC 40nm LP process for area sensitive designs that does not sacrifice on features and delivers best in class performance. Cores can be optionally configured with an integrated Composition Processing Core (CPC) which seamlessly accelerates OS level composition tasks at a fraction of the power with only a 10% GPU silicon area increase.
- Single/Dual/Quad/Eight GPU Configurations: ScalarMorphic cores range from highly silicon optimized single GPU solutions to performance optimized multi-GPU solutions, all with best in class performance and available hardware support for security and OS virtualization
- Single Software Stack: Single unified software stack supports all Vivante cores across the full range of graphics and compute APIs, features, and performance levels
- Battery Saving Innovations: Extreme low power microarchitecture and smart grid technologies for leading mW per MHz/GHz and dynamic power control
- Memory Efficient: Memory bandwidth modulation optimized for contemporary vertex intensive applications and pixel rich displays including support for the latest compression standards in OpenGL ES 3.0 and optionally the recently announced Khronos ASTC™ – Adaptive Scalable Texture Compression extension
- Heterogeneous Platform Architecture: GC cores designed for hybrid computing systems like HSA using AMBA® ACE-Lite™ (CPU – GPU cache coherency) and the latest Stream Interface
About Vivante Corporation
Vivante Corporation, a leader in multi-core GPU, OpenCL™, CPC Composition Engine and Vector Graphics IP solutions, provides the highest performance and lowest power characteristics across a range of Khronos™ Group API conformant standards based on the ScalarMorphic™ architecture. Vivante GPUs are integrated into customer silicon solutions in mass market products including smartphones, tablets, HDTVs, consumer electronics and embedded devices, running thousands of graphics applications across multiple operating systems and software platforms. Vivante is a privately held company headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, with additional R&D centers in Shanghai and Chengdu. For more information, visit http://www.vivantecorp.com.
*Product is based on a published Khronos OpenGL ES 3.0 Specification, and is expected to pass the Khronos Conformance Testing Process. Current conformance status can be found at www.khronos.org/conformance.
Vivante and the Vivante logo are trademarks of Vivante. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Vivante Corporation