NEW YORK, June 8 /PRNewswire/ --
- Henry S. Friedman, M.D., co-executive Director and world-renowned Neuro-Oncologist at Duke University Medical Center's Brain Tumor Center, will receive the 2010 Gary Lichtenstein Humanitarian Award.
- Eric Lichtenstein, managing director at Knight Capital Group and co-founder of VABC, will receive the 2010 Voices Award.
- Bernie Williams, former member of the New York Yankees and passionate musician, will perform at the event.
- Omar Minaya, general manager of the New York Mets and Voices Against Brain Cancer Board Member; Richie Cannata, Billy Joel's saxophonist; Ronnie Alexenburg, Former President of Epic Records; and Avis Richards, CEO of Birdsnest Productions, a visual media production company dedicated to supporting non-profit organizations will all be attending the event.
- Chieli Minucci is the leader of the Grammy-nominated jazz group Special EFX, with over 25 albums released to date. Chieli is a three-time Emmy winner for his music in television. Chieli Minucci and Special EFX will perform at the event.
- Kirstin Cole, a CBS reporter, will be Mistress of Ceremonies.
- 2010 VABC Courage Awards will be presented to eight individuals who have each displayed tremendous strength in their fight against brain cancer
WHAT: Voices Against Brain Cancer's fifth annual gala, Sounding Off For A Cure, to fight brain cancer. Proceeds from the event will benefit innovative brain cancer research programs at, Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Harvard, Memorial Sloan-Kettering, University of Michigan, University of Pittsburg and Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- Brain tumors can affect people of every age, gender, ethnicity and health history.
- Each year, more and more people in the United States are diagnosed with a primary or metastatic brain tumor.
- There are hundreds of different types of brain tumors, resulting in highly variable effects and survival rates.
- There are currently no known causes of brain cancer.
- Funds raised from this year's event will fund research, clinical trials and support programs for brain cancer patients and their caregivers.
WHEN: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM
WHERE: Expecting 1,000 Guests – The Hammerstein, 311 W 34th St (between 7th and 8th Avenues) New York, NY 10001
CONTACT: For more information please contact Arienne Orozco at Arienne@poweredbyprofessionals.com or 646.278.6727
Web Site: http://www.voicesagainstbraincancer.org
SOURCE Voices Against Brain Cancer