NEW YORK, March 22, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Over 300 million people in Sub-Saharan Africa lack access to clean water – that is approximately the same as the population of the U.S.*
"In many parts of Sub-Saharan Africa, women and children are the ones designated to travel long distances to collect water for their families daily needs preventing them from working or studying in school," says Mona Lipson, Director of Strategic Advancement and Corporate Citizenship at Voss Foundation. "This has a profound impact on the quality of life and productivity in these communities."
VOSS Water of Norway understands the challenges faced by communities with little or no access to clean, safe water. To address this issue Voss Foundation was founded in 2008 by the directors of VOSS of Norway AS as an independent non-profit organization with the mission to fund access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene as a means to enable community-driven development in Sub-Saharan Africa and raising awareness of the ongoing need in the area.
While VOSS has supported the Foundation since its inception, 2017 marks the fifth year that the company has supported Voss Foundation's mission through retail based consumer promotions. "World Water Day through Earth Day is great timing to educate people about global clean water issues," says VOSS Water Chief Marketing Officer Ken Gilbert. "We are running a national awareness campaign with the theme 31 Days to Make a Difference to draw attention to the issue of access to clean, safe water worldwide that affects so many people."
In addition to in-store activities, an integrated communications effort with radio ads, social media and public relations will support the campaign.
VOSS Water understands that supporting social good is also good business.
VOSS Water conducted primary research** to see how beverage drinkers feel about brands educating consumers about social issues and global philanthropy.
- 78% of people buy beverages on a regular basis
- Of those people, 64% say it's important to purchase brands that support global social needs
- Millennials and men especially like brands that do good. In fact, 54% have switched to brands after learning that the brand supports and practices social responsibility. 40% of these respondents were Millennials, age 18-34, and 28% were male vs. 13% female.
- 78% of those polled say that it makes them feel good to purchase products that have a positive social impact
- 56% would pay more for a product if the product/company supported positive social and/or environmental impact**
*WHO/JMP 2015 Report
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/voss-water-of-norway-announces-national-awareness-campaign-in-conjunction-with-voss-foundation-to-promote-clean-water-sanitation-and-hygiene-initiatives-in-sub-saharan-africa-300421899.html
SOURCE Voss Foundation