WASHINGTON, Sept. 23, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Voters believe that a Donald Trump presidency would bring unprecedented risks to the United States, according to a new SurveyMonkey poll of 1,051 registered voters conducted on behalf of the Lincoln Leadership Initiative, a group of former Republican elected officials and staffers. The survey asked respondents to assign a percentage chance from 0 (no chance) to 100 (a certainty) that certain events would take place during a Trump presidency, if he is elected, and the overall results average those scores.
Survey respondents said they believed there was a 46 percent chance that Donald Trump would authorize the use of a nuclear weapon if elected and a 54 percent chance that a Trump presidency would lead to a default on U.S. government debt. Surprisingly, many Trump supporters shared those concerns, assigning a one in five (22 percent) chance of Trump authorizing the use of a nuclear weapon and a one in three (33 percent) chance of a U.S. default on its debt.
Among the survey findings, respondents said if Trump is elected president there would be a:
- 46 percent chance that Trump would authorize the use of a nuclear device against ISIS or another foreign enemy;
- 54 percent chance the U.S. government would default on its debt;
- 65 percent chance Trump would use the powers of his office against a political opponent;
- 54 percent chance Trump would create a database to track all Muslims in the U.S.;
- 53 percent chance Trump would order the military to target the families of terrorists;
- 44 percent chance Trump would authorize internment camps for illegal immigrants; and
- 65 percent chance there would be race riots in major U.S. cities.
Trump supporters shared many of those same concerns, with his supporters predicting a:
- 22 percent chance that Trump would authorize the use of a nuclear weapon;
- 33 percent chance the U.S. government would default on its debt;
- 32 percent chance Trump would use the powers of his office against a political opponent;
- 48 percent chance Trump would create a database to track all Muslims in the U.S.;
- 29 percent chance Trump would order the military to target the families of terrorists;
- 32 percent chance Trump would authorize internment camps for illegal immigrants; and
- 36 percent chance there would be race riots in major U.S. cities.
"I've always believed that electing Trump creates unacceptable risks for America -- to our security, to our economy, and to our constitutional rights," said James K. Glassman, former Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy. "This survey confirms that tens of millions of Americans have these same fears. As they should."
"The American people believe we are a coin flip away from nuclear war or a default on our debt if Donald Trump is elected president," said Andrew Weinstein, former advisor to House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Senator Bob Dole's 1996 presidential campaign. "Even Trump's own supporters believe there is a shockingly high risk of him unleashing a nuclear, financial, or constitutional catastrophe from the Oval Office. This survey shows that Americans see a Trump presidency as a game of Russian roulette, except there's a bullet in every chamber."
"The poll shows that Donald Trump is getting his message across, because he has promised most of these goals as part of his platform," said B. Jay Cooper, former Deputy White House Press Secretary and former Director of Communications for the Republican National Committee. "Teleprompter Trump is still the same old Uninformed Donald who is a danger to our country's safety."
Full survey data and crosstabs can be found at lincolnleaders.org.
The poll was conducted via SurveyMonkey on behalf of the Lincoln Leadership Initiative among a national sample of 1,051 registered voters from September 16 to September 21, 2016. In a random sample of respondents of that size, the margin of error is +/-4 percent with a 95 percent confidence interval. Results of the survey were weighted by party affiliation using the Pollster.com average of party identification to reflect the current political composition of the U.S. electorate.
About the Lincoln Leadership Initiative
The Lincoln Leadership Initiative is a collaboration to encourage the Republican Party to return to its foundational values of fiscal responsibility, small government, personal liberty, outcome-based policy, international engagement, strong defense, and an optimistic and inclusive vision of our country's future. Founded by former Republican elected officials and advisors to GOP administrations, congressional leaders, and party organizations, the Initiative supports government service and sound temperament as baseline qualifications for higher office. More information at www.lincolnleaders.org.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/voters-predict-significant-military-economic-civil-risks-from-trump-election-surveymonkey-poll-finds-300333147.html
SOURCE Lincoln Leadership Initiative