Walmart Increases Global Giving in Last Fiscal Year; Company's U.S. Foundation Continues to Take a Leadership Role Fighting Hunger
BENTONVILLE, Ark., April 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Walmart and the Walmart Foundation announced $319 million in cash and $480 million in in-kind contributions around the globe during the fiscal year ending Jan. 31, 2011. The company's U.S. giving grew by 64 percent, largely due to donations of produce, meats, poultry and other nutritious food to local food banks from Walmart stores, Sam's Club locations and distribution centers.
"For many years we have used our size and scale to develop programs that have a positive impact on the serious social issues in the U.S. and around the globe," said Bill Simon, president and CEO of Walmart U.S. "Our funding is helping families put nutritious meals on kitchen tables, break barriers to finding jobs and gain access to a quality education. Through the programs that we support, millions of people are overcoming challenges and living better lives."
Overall, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation's giving in FYE11 includes:
- $732 million in cash and in-kind gifts in the U.S., up from $467 million in fiscal year ending 2010;
- $66.8 million in cash and in-kind gifts in international markets, up from $45 million in fiscal year ending 2010;
- $114 million from Walmart's customers and associates through in-store giving programs that benefit local charities; and
- $913 million in total charitable contributions from Walmart, its Foundations, its customers and its associates around the globe in fiscal year ending 2011.
Last May, Walmart announced a historic $2 billion commitment of cash and in-kind gifts to hunger relief organizations in the U.S. through 2015. The company is making good on its pledge, giving 256 million pounds of food to local food banks in the last fiscal year, the equivalent to 197 million meals. The retailer and its Foundation also gave $62 million in grants to U.S. hunger nonprofits.
"We salute and celebrate the magnitude of Walmart's continuing commitment to fight hunger across America and around the world," said Diana Aviv, president and CEO of Independent Sector the leadership network of nonprofits, foundations, and corporate giving programs. "The impact of their generosity and sustained pledge to fortify those in need is the epitome of social responsibility and we applaud their efforts and resolve."
For example, the company's giving has impacted communities around the globe by:
- Providing funds to train 2,000 young people in green building skills while constructing 170 sustainable housing units through a $2.6 million grant to YouthBuild USA,
- Helping 11,000 families learn to cook healthy meals on a budget through a $1.5 million grant to Share Our Strength,
- Providing opportunity for more than 5,000 women internationally to build skills to increase income-earning potential through a $2 million grant to CARE,
- Purchasing 4 million healthy meals and snacks for U.S. children through summer feeding programs last year,
- Awarding KIVA.org with $1 million through the Sam's Club giving program to expand the reach of its microloan program to help approximately 25,000 entrepreneurs in the U.S. and around the world.
The Walmart Foundation continues to fund efforts in workforce development, education, sustainability and health and wellness. For a state-by-state breakdown of giving, or more information about the Walmart Foundation, visit www.walmartfoundation.org.
For a snapshot of what nonprofit organizations are saying about the donations, visit here.
About Philanthropy at Walmart
Walmart and the Walmart Foundation are proud to support initiatives that are helping people live better around the globe. In May 2010, Walmart and its Foundation made a historic pledge of $2 billion through 2015 to fight hunger in the U.S. The Walmart Foundation also supports education, workforce development, environmental sustainability, and health and wellness initiatives. To learn more, visit www.walmartfoundation.org.
SOURCE Walmart Foundation
More by this Source
Walmart Foundation Names New President
Sep 30, 2013, 14:13 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.