Walt Disney Records' Let It Shine Soundtrack Boasts Songs By Coco Jones, Tyler James Williams And Other Stars From The Disney Channel Original Movie
ALBUM AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT iTUNES TODAY
BURBANK, Calif., May 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Taking the hip-hop musical to a whole new level, Walt Disney Records is set to release the soundtrack to the upcoming Disney Channel Original Movie "Let It Shine." Featuring 13 songs -- soulful ballads, funky jams and epic hip hop battles -- performed by the movie's stars including Hollywood Records' artist Coco Jones, Tyler James Williams and Brandon Mychal Smith, the album will be available for pre-order at iTunes beginning today and arrives in stores and online retailers June 12. The "Let It Shine" album also includes videos, special offers and four instrumental tracks that fans can access from their computers and use to create their own rap battles.
Radio Disney has already sampled one track, "Don't Run Away," which is climbing the Top 30 charts based on listener requests. Radio Disney will premiere the full soundtrack on Saturday, June 9 and will have cast members in studio leading up to the Disney Channel premiere of the movie on Friday, June 15.
The tracks were written by top songwriters and producers in contemporary pop/R&B: Antonina Armato & Tim James, David Banner, Andy Dodd, In-Q, J-Doe, Toby Gad, Adam Hicks, Steven Jones, Jay L'Oreal, Justin Mobley, Tocarra Phillips, Lindy Robbins, Thomas Armato Sturges, Dapo Torimiro, Anya Vasilenko, Jon Vella, Lambert "Stereo" Waldrip and Adam Watts. A concept music video for "Guardian Angel" featuring Tyler James Williams and Coco Jones was directed by Chris Applebaum (Rihanna, Selena Gomez & the Scene, Mariah Carey) and will debut on Disney Channel on Friday, June 1. Songs included on "Let It Shine" soundtrack are:
- "Don't Run Away" by Tyler James Williams featuring IM5 - a confessional uptempo jam about loving from afar performed by Tyler with up-and-coming teen group, IM5.
- "Guardian Angel" by Tyler James Williams and Coco Jones - Tyler raps and Coco sings this elegant ballad about finding purpose and heading for the top.
- "Me and You" by Tyler James Williams and Coco Jones - This edgy duet captures the essence of a young couple trying for one last chance before love slips away.
- "What I Said" – Coco Jones throws down as both a singer and rapper on this upbeat R&B track.
- "Who I'm Gonna Be" - Coco Jones rocks it old school on this '70s-style funk piece about self-determination.
- "You Belong to Me" by Tyler James Williams - a moving love song performed Tyler.
- "Tonight's the Night" by Brandon Mychal Smith, Spencer Lee and Tyler James Williams - Pure party music, sung by the "Let It Shine" cast, sets the stage for hi-hop supremacy in the club.
- "Around the Block" by cast of "Let It Shine" - One of the film's sensational m.c. battles, where razor-sharp wit and humor trumps all.
- "Moment of Truth" by Tyler James Williams and Brandon Mychal Smith - the climactic hip-hop battle, is as funny as it is memorable.
- "Joyful Noise" by the cast of "Let It Shine" - This upbeat gospel-flavored track sums up all the positive energy of "Let It Shine."
- "Good to Be Home" - Coco Jones sings this upbeat ballad, which is a moving testament to faith and family.
- "Let It Shine" by Tyler James Williams and Coco Jones - The film's joyous title song borrows from the classic gospel-folk tune.
- "Self Defeat" by Tyler James Williams - This bonus track is a one-man rap masterpiece from the talented star of "Let It Shine."
In the story, Cyrus DeBarge is the musical director at his father's Atlanta, Georgia, church, and he's been having some challenges convincing his preacher father that hip-hop is not the devil's music. Cyrus' struggles continue when, for a freestyle rap competition at the local teen club, he writes a song under the name "Truth," which tells his childhood friend and longtime crush, recording artist Roxanne Andrews, how he really feels about her. When it's all said and done, his best friend Kris McDuffy is mistakenly named the author of the rap song and winner of the contest. As Roxanne begins to fall for Kris, it's up to the true poet Cyrus to overcome self-doubt, seize the opportunity to reveal both his talent and his feelings, and pursue his dreams. All the while, Cyrus must convince his preacher father that hip-hop music can convey a positive message despite the rap battle he is about to throw down with his nemesis, "Lord of Da Bling," at the club.
Starring are Tyler James Williams as Cyrus DeBarge, Coco Jones as Roxanne Andrews, Trevor Jackson as Kris McDuffy, Brandon Mychal Smith ("So Random!") as Lord of Da Bling, Nicole Sullivan ("MADtv") as Roxanne's music manager Lyla, Courtney B. Vance ("FlashForward," ABC's "Revenge") as Cyrus' preacher father, Jacob DeBarge, and Dawnn Lewis ("A Different World") as Cyrus' mother, Gail. "Let It Shine" is directed by two-time DGA award winner Paul Hoen ("Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam," "JONAS"), written by Eric Daniel and Don D. Scott ("Barbershop," "Barbershop 2: Back in Business") and choreographed by Danny Teeson ("American Idol") and associate Brandon Shaw ("So You Think You Can Dance," NAACP Image Awards). A production of G Wave Productions, LLC., the movie was shot on location in Atlanta and Marietta, Georgia. The Let It Shine soundtrack will be available nationwide on June 12, 2012 wherever music is sold. The album is available for pre-order at iTunes and Amazon.com:
For more information on Walt Disney Records' releases, please visit Disney.com/music, become a fan at Facebook.com/disneymusic or follow us at Twitter.com/disneymusic.
SOURCE Walt Disney Records
More by this Source
Walt Disney Records Presents Saving Mr. Banks Original Motion Picture Score Soundtrack And Saving Mr. Banks 2-Disc Deluxe Edition Soundtrack Features Previously Unreleased Song Demos By The Sherman Brothers Both Available On December 10
Nov 26, 2013, 09:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.