Wendy's® Launches National Marketing Campaign to Give a Voice to Foster Care Adoption Year-long Initiative Builds on Wendy's 20-Year Partnership with the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption®
DUBLIN, Ohio, March 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Wendy's® believes every child deserves a family – especially the more than 134,000 children waiting in foster care. That's why Wendy's is launching its first-ever national fully integrated cause marketing campaign to raise awareness for foster care adoption to help children find families and to highlight Wendy's long-term commitment to the issue.
The year-long marketing program provides a powerful voice to tell the story of foster care adoption. Campaign components are carefully crafted to show that the everyday childhood moments most people take for granted – like hugging Mom before bedtime or playing outside with Dad – might not be a reality for children waiting in foster care.
"Adoption is in our company's DNA. Our founder, Dave Thomas, who was adopted, instilled in Wendy's from the start the belief that 'these children are not someone else's responsibility, they are our responsibility'," said Craig Bahner, Wendy's Chief Marketing Officer. "While we have quietly been supporting the issue and continuing Dave's legacy for more than 20 years, we're proud to leverage our marketing assets this year to bring more public attention to foster care adoption."
The integrated campaign includes:
- National television and radio advertising featuring Wendy Thomas, the daughter of founder Dave Thomas, talking about her Dad's legacy and personal connection to the cause of adoption, and real-life adopted families in the commercial spots.
- A new adoption hub on Wendy's website (www.wendys.com/adoption) that provides multi-media content on the issue of foster care adoption, Wendy's programming and links to learn more and take action.
- "In Their Own Words" video series that tells real stories of adoption from the voices of adopted children and their families. To meet the first family, visit: http://bit.ly/1hDV1vQ.
- In-restaurant national promotions: Wendy's is taking its most popular regional programs—Frosty™ Key Tags and Halloween Coupon Books—nationwide for the first time, and continuing its fan-favorite Father's Day Frosty Weekend.
- A blue ribbon graphic that is an extension of the original ribbon that adorned Wendy's pigtails when Dave chose the image of his daughter for the logo, providing a distinct visual element to represent cause for Wendy's.
Wendy's 20-Year Impact on Foster Care Adoption
In 1992, Wendy's founder started the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption® (DTFA), an organization that works in communities across North America to help find loving homes for children in the foster care system waiting to be adopted.
Through Wendy's support of the DTFA, more than 4,000 children in foster care have been matched with permanent, loving homes. Wendy's support allows the DTFA to hire specially trained workers in communities across the country to find families for children who have been in foster care the longest. In fact, data from a five-year study reveals that children who are served by the Foundation's program are three times more likely to be adopted.
"Thanks to Wendy's partnership, we've been able to unite thousands of children in foster care with safe, loving and permanent families," said Rita Soronen, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption. "We're excited to continue our work with Wendy's to further our mission to dramatically increase the number of adoptions for children waiting in foster care."
Doing Good Tastes Good, Too
Wendy's is engaging its restaurants in the U.S. with programs throughout the year to allow its customers to give to a meaningful cause – while getting something they love in return. With the current Frosty Key Tag promotion, customers can buy a Frosty Key Tag for $1 at participating Wendy's nationwide to receive a free Jr. Frosty every time they present the tag with their purchase through August.
For more information about Wendy's support of foster care adoption and ways to give back, consumers can visit www.wendys.com/adoption.
About The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption
The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is a national nonprofit public charity dedicated to dramatically increasing the adoptions of the more than 134,000 children waiting in North America's foster care systems. Created by Wendy's founder Dave Thomas, who was adopted, the Foundation implements evidence-based, results-driven national signature programs, foster care adoption awareness initiatives and research-based advocacy efforts. To learn more, visit davethomasfoundation.org, or call 1-800-ASK-DTFA.
About The Wendy's Company
The Wendy's Company is the world's third largest quick-service hamburger company. The Wendy's system includes more than 6,500 franchise and Company restaurants in the United States and 28 countries and U.S. territories worldwide. For more information, visit www.wendys.com or www.aboutwendys.com.
SOURCE The Wendy's Company