RACINE, Wis., Aug. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- This summer's extreme weather conditions - including a mild winter and spring rains coupled with a hot, drought-ridden summer1 - have created an ideal breeding ground for the mosquito population, creating one of the worst outbreaks of West Nile virus since 20042. As August marks the peak of West Nile season3, it is important to protect yourself from mosquitoes that may carry the virus with OFF!® Insect Repellents line of trusted products.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, on a national level at least 1,118 cases and 41 deaths have been reported in 47 states. OFF!® products offer Americans peace of mind while being outdoors with a variety of repellents offering proven protection – in the backyard and beyond. The makers of OFF!® provides families with sound advice on how to protect yourself and your family from mosquitoes that may carry West Nile virus.
"As a family company, we are dedicated to providing Americans with the resources they need to protect themselves when they are outdoors," says Kelly Semrau, Senior Vice President – Global Corporate Affairs, Communication and Sustainability at SC Johnson. "It is important that those located in areas with a higher prevalence of mosquitoes that may carry the disease are aware of West Nile virus and stay protected while outside."
Protect Yourself and Your Family from Mosquitos and West Nile virus:
- Wear Light Colored Clothing – Since mosquitoes are attracted to darker colors, wearing light colored clothing makes you less appealing
- Wear Long Sleeves and Pants – Cover as much skin as possible while outdoors to lessen the amount of skin exposed to mosquitoes, especially at dawn and dusk when mosquitos are most active
- Use Effective Insect Repellent – OFF!® products offer many options for protection from mosquitoes; spray yourself as well as your clothing to help keep mosquitoes at bay
- Eliminate Standing Water – Minimize the number of mosquitoes around your home by changing standing water in birdbaths and rain barrels at least once a week. Additionally, clean out your rain gutters regularly
- Know the Symptoms – Symptoms of West Nile virus usually appear between three and 14 days after a bite from an infected mosquito. Symptoms may include severe headache, fever, nausea and vomiting, disorientation, chills, muscle aches and pains and/or stiffness
OFF!® Products Can Help Protect Against West Nile Virus
- OFF!® Deep Woods® – A long-lasting repellent that delivers proven protection against biting insects. It offers long-lasting protection, contains 25 percent DEET and provides up to eight hours of protection against mosquitoes.
- OFF!® FamilyCare Smooth & Dry Aerosol Spray – Repels mosquitoes that may carry the West Nile virus, biting flies, gnats, ticks and no-see-ums. It is formulated with 15 percent DEET and offers up to six hours of protection against mosquitoes.
- OFF!® Active® Aerosol Spray – Resists sweat and perspiration and protects against biting flies, gnats, no-see-ums and mosquitoes that may carry the West Nile Virus. It is formulated with 15 percent DEET and provides up to six hours of protection against mosquitoes.
Visit www.KeepsBugsOFF.com for more information about the entire OFF!® Insect Repellent line of products, as well as for information on the West Nile virus, including the latest news reports, tips from protection, symptoms and more.
1 Multiple Health Officials, 2012
2 Texas AgriLife Extension Service, 2012
3 Centers for Disease Control, 2012
SC Johnson is a family-owned and managed business dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, and pest control. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, BAYGON®, TANA®, BAMA®, BRISE®, KLEAR®, MR. MUSCLE® and RIDSECT®. The 126-year old company, generates nearly $9 billion in sales, employs 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com
Availability: OFF!® Mosquito Repellents are available in grocery, mass merchandise and drug stores nationwide
High Res Images Available Upon Request
SOURCE SC Johnson